Trailer rebuild

Ksilot

Recruit
I’m a newbie so go easy on me!! I’m relatively new to the boating world, just purchased this back in July. My boat and trailer is a 1997 VIP SX-165 bass boat. The boat is in great shape. The trailer is fair. I recently extended the tongue and used a fold away tongue. I would like to repaint/rebuild the trailer this winter. My question is about lifting the boat off of the trailer. I’ve watched a few videos, but my bunks extend well past the rear of the boat. Really no where to Jack it up. Can I use the rear tie down loops to lift it? I would call VIP, but they went out of business years ago. Thoughts?

briangcc

Commander
Here's what we did years ago when we swapped trailers under the '56 MFG in my signature...

Dropped the tongue as low as it would go. Place boat stands under the transom (could use cribbing or even old tires if you need to). Raise the tongue of the trailer as high as it would go. Put some boat stands under the bow section of the boat (again cribbing, old tires, etc would work). Put trailer down to normal level and gently pull forward.

Stop as needed to readjust any supports and move any supports that the trailer may hit to another location. Keep going until the trailer is free and boat is supported by whatever you're using - boat stands, cribbing, old tires, etc.

**We also had a nearby tree so we ran a line from one of the transom points to the tree to keep things secure.

Putting the boat back on the trailer....reverse the steps.

Ksilot

Recruit
Here's what we did years ago when we swapped trailers under the '56 MFG in my signature...

Dropped the tongue as low as it would go. Place boat stands under the transom (could use cribbing or even old tires if you need to). Raise the tongue of the trailer as high as it would go. Put some boat stands under the bow section of the boat (again cribbing, old tires, etc would work). Put trailer down to normal level and gently pull forward.

Stop as needed to readjust any supports and move any supports that the trailer may hit to another location. Keep going until the trailer is free and boat is supported by whatever you're using - boat stands, cribbing, old tires, etc.

**We also had a nearby tree so we ran a line from one of the transom points to the tree to keep things secure.

Putting the boat back on the trailer....reverse the steps.
That’s part of my problem. There is a frame member of the trailer that is under my transom.

briangcc

Commander
Put the supports ahead of the frame member, pull trailer forward to get the boat moved backwards.. Then move the supports under the transom.

You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be.