trailer rear guides post or bunk?

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
have 18ft Aluminum Starcraft Center Console, changed supports from roller to bunk as recommended on this site. Haven't had problems yet with loading boat as I mounted the bunks so the outer keels (or whatever you call the runners under the boat) of the boat are outside the bunks and forces boat to center. I generally launch in moving water (rivers) and am looking to add rear guides to help with loading. Any feed back on post vs bunks? :confused:

Cox

Seaman
Re: trailer rear guides post or bunk?

I just recently switched out my post guide ons in favor of the bunk-style. They do exactly what I had hoped they would when I was trying to decide if it was worth the investment or not. Loading in cross-wind or current is a breeze with these things. I didn't have major issues with the posts before but in a nasty wind and/or current there were times that I made it through the posts only to have the bow keep going and end up completely across the trailer. Probably a more prevalent problem with a steep/deep launch when bunks are more under water than normal. Anyway, great investment IMHO.

Here's a link to my trailer rebuild that shows the new bunks:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=360334

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My "new to me" boat came with these bad mama-jammas.
DSCF2138.jpg

Used 'em once and was quite impressed. I had fairly low post guides on my old trailer and they would often get hung up under the boat (especially if you happen to back the trailer in too far). I recommend the bunk guides but if you go post, get TALL ones.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tall one with the intgrated lights, keeps bulbs dry, and working.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tall one with the intgrated lights, keeps bulbs dry, and working.

.......PLUS you can see the empty trailer when backing, greater night visibility and an ideal depth guide for various ramps (mark the forward side of the left pole).
Ed in 'ol Virginny