Trailer questions for vintage Glastron Tri-hull

kenojim

Cadet
The boat, trailer, motor in my signature are all dated the same so I assume it came from a dealer as a package.

The trailer has rollers for the keel and bunks along the sides in the back.

View attachment 356368

View attachment 356369

Sorry these are the only pics I have right now.
Nice pics! That's the T152 Skiflite right? 1976? 15 footer?
Max HP was 65 or 70hp?
I don't ever see these around anymore! Those are original seats in the photo too.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Nice pics! That's the T152 Skiflite right? 1976? 15 footer?
Max HP was 65 or 70hp?
I don't ever see these around anymore! Those are original seats in the photo too.
1978 15'-6" Skiflite Max 90HP per hull tag.
Yes all original but the seats are in very rough condition.
Floor, stringers and transom being redone (very slow project).
When all said and done installing new different seats including fishing seats fore and aft. It's going to be this old farts freshwater fishing boat. ;)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My Cousin had the same boat, it rode very nice for a 15ft. I don't know what yr it was, but the Motor was a 72. It too, was on a Calkins trailer, and the Rollers at the Transom weren't a very good fit, and due to design, not Adjustable.
DSC_0210_628.JPGDSC_0212_627.JPG

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My Cousin had the same boat, it rode very nice for a 15ft. I don't know what yr it was, but the Motor was a 72. It too, was on a Calkins trailer, and the Rollers at the Transom weren't a very good fit, and due to design, not Adjustable.
View attachment 367885View attachment 367886
If you look at the position of the aft rollers, its quite obvious that trailer was set up properly for the hull. The pictures do not show the tongue, but obviously it must be long enough to fit the towcar.

If the OP's boat were positioned correctly on the rollers, there would be no room left for the winch stand, and the bow would hit the back of the car.

Maybe a longer tongue could be adapted, but what is the weight capacity? Simply not the right trailer.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Look the Outer Rollers on the Transom, they are unable to pivot as to lay flat against the Hull. I took those pic 10 yrs ago, and he no longer has the boat, so I can't take any more, but I do remember the outer roller had a very small contact area

kenojim

Cadet
I have a 1976 Glastron T156 (15'6") that I'm having fixed up.
With the new transom and newer heavier 4 stroke outboard I don't particularly like the way the boat sits on the trailer. The rear of the boat hangs off the rear set of rollers and it hardly has any tounge weight. It came with the standard trailer for that size boat of that era, the Calkins roller trailer (not sure of the model#)
Weight load rated for 1500lbs I think.
I am open to suggestions on what would be a good trailer for this boat.
Since it's a tri hull do I stick with a roller trailer model? Would a bunk style trailer be possible without it being custom made for this style boat? So far
I've looked online at the Venture VR-2050, but it's difficult to tell if this would be a good fit or not.
I'll post a pic of the boat on trailer with the old smaller engine.
Thanks for any help you can offer, it's much appreciated.
Screenshot_20220915_072914.jpgupdated pic with a better fitting trailer

Don't Panic!

Seaman
That trailer looks much better! Our first boat when I was a kid was a 15' Glasstron trihull with a Chrysler 75. Wicked holeshot, no top speed, but we all skiied behind that thing for a few years. Mom hated the smoke, so dad sold it and got an IO (this was in the 80's, no 4 stroke OB's). That new 4 stroke OB looks sweet and should be real nice!