Trailer questions for vintage Glastron Tri-hull

kenojim

Cadet
I have a 1976 Glastron T156 (15'6") that I'm having fixed up.
With the new transom and newer heavier 4 stroke outboard I don't particularly like the way the boat sits on the trailer. The rear of the boat hangs off the rear set of rollers and it hardly has any tounge weight. It came with the standard trailer for that size boat of that era, the Calkins roller trailer (not sure of the model#)
Weight load rated for 1500lbs I think.
I am open to suggestions on what would be a good trailer for this boat.
Since it's a tri hull do I stick with a roller trailer model? Would a bunk style trailer be possible without it being custom made for this style boat? So far
I've looked online at the Venture VR-2050, but it's difficult to tell if this would be a good fit or not.
I'll post a pic of the boat on trailer with the old smaller engine.
Thanks for any help you can offer, it's much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210724_093427.jpg
    20210724_093427.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 79

ahicks

Captain
Your pic shows your concern clearly, but doesn't show the forward section of the boat or trailer. If there is room to move the winch stand and boat far enough forward so the transom is properly supported, that's where I would start. Get the boat located on the trailer properly. THEN, if there's too much/too little tongue weight, check to see if the axle location is adjustable (many/most are adjustable). Assuming it is possible to relocate, slide the axle in the direction required to get proper tongue weight (10% of loaded trailer weight +/-).

kenojim

Cadet
Thanks, the winch stand is about as far forward as it will go.
I've already moved the axle toward the rear (after this pic was taken) also about as far as it will go.
Even with that electric fishing motor with its own battery in the far front of the boat, I'd say there is maybe 50lbs of tounge weight.
The boat empty is about 850lbs.. The new engine is about 350lbs.

ahicks

Captain
A trailer with bunks and a center roller placed under the transom would be what I would looking for.

I didn't realize earlier that your pic could be blown up to show the entire rig. Even if that trailer were long enough, my preference would be for something to support the transom w/weight of the 4 stroke a little better.

If you haven't been converted already, you are going to LOVE the 4 stroke. Looks like a great choice for that boat....

kenojim

Cadet
Thanks! Yes love the engine, was able to get it in the water just a few times late fall before I had to winterize.
If anyone knows my current Calkins trailer model # by the pic and description please let me know. The tag on it is so faded I can't read most of it. I think it says 1976 and can make out the max weight which looks like 1500lbs.
I know back in the day these were a dime a dozen, but nowadays they're harder to track down info on.

briangcc

Commander
I think you're at your limit with what can be done with the current trailer. You *might* gain some tongue weight if you are able to swap the winch post with the trailer jack *BUT* you gotta be careful with that winch handle as it could possibly come in contact with the tow vehicle.

I think you're looking for a longer trailer. Any competent marina should be able to point you in the right direction.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That trailer was NOT the correct one for that boat, no matter what motor is on it. It was wrong from the beginning.

Trailers are rated by boat weight and length. Even if the weight was correct, it was designed for a much shorter boat.

You need a new trailer. No way to modify that one. Bunks or rollers are an option. It all depends on how easy you want launching to be. Personally, I won't own a bunk trailer, but I like easy peasy.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Just curious, Do you cover your registration numbers while towing down the highway? Or when cruising across the lake?

ahicks

Captain
Just curious, Do you cover your registration numbers while towing down the highway? Or when cruising across the lake?
I'm betting he did that to the picture to protect his privacy..... Not a bad plan either.

kenojim

Cadet
Still recovering from the mess of an identity theft issue in early 2021. It just became 2nd nature to not post any traceable info online, or as little as possible anyways. I'd never post pics of my vehicle with the license tags showing, even thou yes that is public information and visible to anyone much of the time.
I'm looking at 4 trailer options, 2 bunk style and 2 roller,.
I'm a little hesitant about the bunk style on an open bow tri hull, concerned if a stock trailers bunks can be adjusted to where they need to be between the outer keels. I see others have posted that it hasn't been much of an issue thou.
The lake I visit most often also the past couple years has experienced low water levels at the ramps,.. Makes me really lean toward the roller models.. I have been under the impression that the bunk style would be easiest because I launch /retrieve by myself most of the time, but others insist the rollers are easier.. I guess a case of different strokes and what system you've come up with over time...
Waiting on calls back from places about trailers prices and availability.

ahicks

Captain
Regarding bunk placement, I'm assuming your boat has stringers running front to rear. That being the case, you can't find a better place to support the hull best possible for trailer bunk location.

Bunk trailer, best case, will be backed in far enough to float the boat above the bunks. Generally doesn't take a lot. Less than most believe if you watch how far they're backing in.....

XS POWER

Seaman Apprentice
Are there laws in Murica that prevent the lengthening of the draw bar? I had one of those hulls with a 90 jono it was a beast.

kenny nunez

Captain
You could have the rear set of roller mount levers lengthened fore and aft if you know of a good welding shop.

ahicks

Captain
He could have the tongue replaced/lengthened without a lot of trouble as well.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
The boat, trailer, motor in my signature are all dated the same so I assume it came from a dealer as a package.

The trailer has rollers for the keel and bunks along the sides in the back.

Boat 1.jpg

Boat 2.jpg

Sorry these are the only pics I have right now.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah, that trailer look’s like it was lengthened in the past. Look where the winch post bolts on, there is angle iron welded on and painted over. I’d take the advice of looking for a longer trailer. Or you could completely change the younger, but is it rated for the load, and will you have to move the axle to obtain the correct tonnage weight?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Some of the best boat trailers available are made in Fox Lake WI.
Karavan trailers.
Check out their site.
Find a dealer, they will set you up.
Won't hurt to get a trailer a little longer than needed. It will help with launch and load, and keep your tow vehicle out of the water.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Some of the best boat trailers available are made in Fox Lake WI.
Karavan trailers.
Check out their site.
Find a dealer, they will set you up.
Won't hurt to get a trailer a little longer than needed. It will help with launch and load, and keep your tow vehicle out of the water.
I have a Karavan 4X8 trailer from them. Well built and sturdy!