Trailer question...

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have recently purchased Thompson (not sure of model or year). Seems to me to be 1959.. to 1961ish... 15'-16' approx. with a 50hp Johnson from mid 80's. It is currently on a trailer with 2 coil springs, 1 on each side and 2 small shock absorbers, again 1 on each side. This trailer needs a bit of work. new rollers, lights, shocks, tires (8"rim I think), etc. But is set up with the correctly to hold the boat.

On the other hand, I have a trailer that I have fixed up a bit... that has Leaf Springs... (3 leaves, about 1/4" or 5/16" thick). Smaller tires than the other trailer but in good shape plus 1 spare) This would need to be "set up" with rollers to accept the Thompson's hull, etc.

Question... which is the better path?

Thanks folks...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Trailer question...

That first trailer sounds like a Holsclaw trailer. I imagine the leaf spring trailer will be an easier set up and re-furb then the older one. IF it will handle the Thompsons weight!

Sending this to the trailer section. ;)

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks...

I was told that the leaf springs were rated up to 4000 pounds.

I will double check with a local trailer repair shop.

Thanks,

Tom

DixieBoatN

Seaman Apprentice

I used to have a Montgomery Ward brand boat trailer that had coils and shocks...

If the trailer can handle the weight, the coil sprung trailer will ride smoother. It is more to fail than just with leaf springs, but it is much smoother.

Leaf sprung trailers typically ride rougher, but you rarely have any suspension related failure with them as long as you do not over load them. If the leaves are rated to handle much more weight than your boat is, you can get a really rough ride out of a leaf sprung trailer. The tires become the point of give for the trailer instead of the springs and it can also cause premature tire wear. If the springs are closely matched to the weight, though, this is not an issue.

Personally, I'd take the route that best suits your needs while requiring the least amount of work. Since the coil sprung trailer already has the bunks, as long as the springs and shocks are good and it can handle the boat's weight, why spend time moving the bunks over?

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

DIXIE,

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for your advice!

I used to have a Montgomery Ward brand boat trailer that had coils and shocks...

If the trailer can handle the weight, the coil sprung trailer will ride smoother. It is more to fail than just with leaf springs, but it is much smoother.

Leaf sprung trailers typically ride rougher, but you rarely have any suspension related failure with them as long as you do not over load them. If the leaves are rated to handle much more weight than your boat is, you can get a really rough ride out of a leaf sprung trailer. The tires become the point of give for the trailer instead of the springs and it can also cause premature tire wear. If the springs are closely matched to the weight, though, this is not an issue.

Personally, I'd take the route that best suits your needs while requiring the least amount of work. Since the coil sprung trailer already has the bunks, as long as the springs and shocks are good and it can handle the boat's weight, why spend time moving the bunks over?