Trailer needs attention on used flat bottom.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased a 1983 Monarch 16’x6’ wide. Heavy boat. When I launched I backed in and had the stern floating well off the trailer. Getting the keel off was another story I had to rock a lift finally getting it to float off. When I parked I looked over the trailer and there’s a 3” roller where the keel was. The bracket was pinched in so bad it stopped the roller from working at all. It has holes for a wider roller.Now that the boat is back on the trailer i noticed a lot of pressure on the keel roller that would explain the bracket pinch. The stern isn’t even touching the bolsters in the back for a foot at least. The bolsters are adjusted down as far as they can go and the other two rollers as far up. Basically the rear of the boat isn’t contacting the trailer. If I raise it I’m afraid I’ll be putting even more pressure on the keel. I’ve thought about installing an adjustable bracket with roller just behind the winch to help with the keel. Also the stern hangs off the bolsters about 3”. There’s two sets of bolsters 2x6. Would 2x4 give me more room for adjusting? I’m very grateful for any advice. This is my first flat bottom.

Attachments

• 56FDB7F2-5199-408C-B706-F37615872D1B.jpeg
    56FDB7F2-5199-408C-B706-F37615872D1B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 7F33A3ED-0B63-4B48-8E21-02A315E2911C.jpeg
    7F33A3ED-0B63-4B48-8E21-02A315E2911C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 5175938B-3466-4E88-A0D0-39E54D7E2CFB.jpeg
    5175938B-3466-4E88-A0D0-39E54D7E2CFB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

eshaw

Cadet
How far into the water is the trailer when you launch? I have a flat bottom that's heavy also, almost identical to what you have. I extended my tongue so I can back it in and not get my brakes wet on the truck and it will float off my trailer. There are NO rollers on my trailer. Also, the boards that are on my trailer aren't laid out on their edge. Personally if it were me I'd get rid of the roller(s) and flip the boards. I think your trailer was made for a V type hull.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Just raise the bunks so they take more of the load. Looks like they slipped down.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I’m thinking raise the bunks a little and the winch. Then see if it’s off that front roller.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
How far into the water is the trailer when you launch? I have a flat bottom that's heavy also, almost identical to what you have. I extended my tongue so I can back it in and not get my brakes wet on the truck and it will float off my trailer. There are NO rollers on my trailer. Also, the boards that are on my trailer aren't laid out on their edge. Personally if it were me I'd get rid of the roller(s) and flip the boards. I think your trailer was made for a V type hull.
Thanks a bunch for the advice. Definitely going to look at it and see if I can lay those boards down. Does yours have 2 sets supporting the boat or one? To answer your question I stop backing in just before my wheels get wet. Especially at one ramp that stays slick. The boat floats for the most part just gets stuck on that front roller that the bracket has pinched. Looks like the cause of that is the boat resting on it when trailering. I don’t see a way to extend the tongue . One of the pictures I posted was to see if maybe this is a tilt trailer. Again your help is greatly appreciated.

eshaw

Cadet
Thanks a bunch for the advice. Definitely going to look at it and see if I can lay those boards down. Does yours have 2 sets supporting the boat or one? To answer your question I stop backing in just before my wheels get wet. Especially at one ramp that stays slick. The boat floats for the most part just gets stuck on that front roller that the bracket has pinched. Looks like the cause of that is the boat resting on it when trailering. I don’t see a way to extend the tongue . One of the pictures I posted was to see if maybe this is a tilt trailer. Again your help is greatly appreciated.
I used two sets of boards. I just left them un-carpeted but they do have slick pieces of plastic I got at Bass Pro for each board. I positioned the boards so that they straddle the chines on the bottom when the hull is setting at rest. There are lots of ways to extend tongues, a hinge is the most common.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used two sets of boards. I just left them un-carpeted but they do have slick pieces of plastic I got at Bass Pro for each board. I positioned the boards so that they straddle the chines on the bottom when the hull is setting at rest. There are lots of ways to extend tongues, a hinge is the most common.
I’ll have to goggle how to extend mine. We have a small private lake with a ramp here in our subdivision. Hopefully it’ll catch some rain in the next couple of days and I can float my boat while working some on the trailer.

topgun3690

Ensign
If you use the plastic bunk slicks that run the entire length of the board then no need for carpet. Have heard that some areas do not allow carpeted bunks in order to reduce the spread of invasive species, although not here in Texas. And without the carpet, your bunk boards dry quicker without the damp carpet holding water.

Douglasdzaster

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you use the plastic bunk slicks that run the entire length of the board then no need for carpet. Have heard that some areas do not allow carpeted bunks in order to reduce the spread of invasive species, although not here in Texas. And without the carpet, your bunk boards dry quicker without the damp carpet holding water.
Mine came with carpet and the slicks on top. Instead of changing carpet then I’ll just remove it.