trailer makes banging noise when stop & starting

BC1861

Recruit
I have replaced master cylinder and bleed the system but still a banging noise when stopping or starting up. is there an adjustment on the master cylinder to stop the play in actuator?

harringtondav

Commander
I've had this over the years depending on the boat/trailer and tow vehicle.
As near as I can tell it's has to do with coupler slack in the hitch ball.
So make sure your tongue weight is adequate. Obviously make sure your hitch ball isn't too small for the tongue coupler. Make sure your tongue hitch is adjusted to snug up tight when the lock lever goes over center. It should take some effort to close to preload the lock.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you have drum brakes, adjust the shoes

Check your brake fluid

airshot

Rear Admiral
Any parts on the trailer loose ?? Years back a friend had a similiar noise, long story short...his U bolts holding his spare tire were loose, it was sliding back and forth ...

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
The shock absorber in the surge assy is kaput. Works a snubber as the assy slides back and forth.

Very common problem

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The only times mine made that noise is when the master cylinder failed or they needed to be bled. Also, way out of adjustment drum linings will do this.

Another reason I hate drum brakes.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Mine does that. The shock in the assembly needs replacing but they don't make it anymore so I just put up with the slop.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, the shock doesn't do much dampening on stop, that is the MC / hydraulics. The shock is supposed to stop the clunk when starting to move (the most annoying part). Haven't seen one work 100% yet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, the shock doesn't do much dampening on stop, that is the MC / hydraulics. The shock is supposed to stop the clunk when starting to move (the most annoying part). Haven't seen one work 100% yet.
It's purpose is to prevent oscillating. Otherwise, when you stopped it would be a constant on/off cycle. It doesn't take much damping. I did buy a new one once and determined the old one was actually fine.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I never had the noise until I got 2 swing tongue trailers. I bought some rubber gasket material and cut pieces so that when the tongue was attached, it was tight.

Problem solved.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
It's purpose is to prevent oscillating. Otherwise, when you stopped it would be a constant on/off cycle. It doesn't take much damping. I did buy a new one once and determined the old one was actually fine.
I had a the banging problem on a trailer before that was corrected when the shocks (unit had 2 in it) were replaced. Fix didn't last long. It did not have an oscillating problem.

So, I guess they serve 2 purposes. Learned to just live with it.