Trailer Lights driving me mad

ThePerchik

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer Lights driving me mad

Thats a standard one, as I would expect it. Unfortunately the one my karavan has is a bit different. The 4 pin connector that i plug into my car has 8 wires coming out of it. 2 go to the froun orange light that are brown and white, then yellow brown and white go to the back on the left rear and then a green brown and white go to the right rear.

As suggested aboce I am gonna get a 12V adapter and start testing that way. If that fails I will pull all the bulbs and try again.

Ill be damned if i miss a weekend of riding. :D

Thanks for all the input thus far.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So why does it only give me a tone when hitting the ground and the second pin. Shouldn't all the pins ring through the light bulbs then?
Yes, assuming the wire actually reaches the bulb. You may not have a complete circuit if you do not have a tone.

Do the battery test that Silvertip suggested. Once you do that it will isolate the problem between your trailer and the vehicle.

Just a warning about the LED tester...takes very little current to light the LED on the tester unless the tester also loads the circuit. If what is driving the tester has a low current path, it will not drive your lights.

Biggems

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If all else fails, you could always just re-wire the thing with a standard 4 wire harness...

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perch,

Now I'm really confused. Correct me if I'm wrong. On your trailer connector, you have 4 white wires, 2 brown wires, a yellow and a green. Is that correct? I've reread this thread several times and thats how I come up to what you have. 4 whites should go to each bulb. Two browns...one should go down each side. Yellow to left rear, green to right rear. That adds up to 8.

Having said all of that. Would side marker lamps blink when the flasher is on? (I'm asking...thats one of those things that I've just never paid attention to) I thought flashers operated on the blinker circuit. If they do, then only the rear lights should light. Side markers should only light when the headlights are activated.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Perch,

Having said all of that. Would side marker lamps blink when the flasher is on? (I'm asking...thats one of those things that I've just never paid attention to) .

That's why I think you have a ground problem. When marker lites flash w/ turn signals/ hazards, it means there is a lack of ground somewhere because the flashers are backfeeding thru the marker lite circuit.
Mike

ThePerchik

Seaman Apprentice

Perch,

Now I'm really confused. Correct me if I'm wrong. On your trailer connector, you have 4 white wires, 2 brown wires, a yellow and a green. Is that correct? I've reread this thread several times and thats how I come up to what you have. 4 whites should go to each bulb. Two browns...one should go down each side. Yellow to left rear, green to right rear. That adds up to 8.

Having said all of that. Would side marker lamps blink when the flasher is on? (I'm asking...thats one of those things that I've just never paid attention to) I thought flashers operated on the blinker circuit. If they do, then only the rear lights should light. Side markers should only light when the headlights are activated.

I have 3 white wires, 3 brown, 1 green and 1 yellow that come out of the 4 pin socket I plug into the car. They are split into three bundles.

1st bundle is a white and brown wire. That goes to the orange markers. I
assume the white and brown is split and goes to both.

2nd bundle is a white, brown and green. That one goes down the right side to the rear light. The brown splits in the light to the dual filament #1157 bulb and into the #57 bulb.

3rd bundle is a white, brown and yellow. That one goes dows the left side. The brown splits in the actual light to the dual filament #1157 and the #57 bulb.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sounds simple enough.

Now do the battery test. Ground of the battery to white wire pin and then move the battery one at a time to the other three pins to see what happens.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Well, PerChik, did ya ever find your lite problem?
Mike

ThePerchik

Seaman Apprentice

OK, so firstly, THANK YOU ALL. Just got home from father in law's and everything is working.

So here goes. First we unplugged all the bulbs and put one tester end on the ground end of the plug and the other end on each of the three pins one at a time on each of the three pins. If there is a tone that means there is a short. There was no tone so no shorts.

Put the small bulbs back in but kept the 1157's out. Took some sand paper on a dowel and cleaned the inside of those sockets in the rear lights. Cleaned the point of contact from the ground to the rear light. Things looked ok. with all grounds cleaned.

Took a 12V output charging brick from something we found in the garage, plugged it into the wall and started using it to test. Everything worked except for the right rear light. The one that had the initial turning signal burnout. With the right turn signal pin getting the current both lights would blink on the right and the marker lights would be super faint. With the lights signal, the rear right was just dark.

Ended up pulling all the wiring to find the problem. It was the ground connection to the rear right light.

As you recall, the 4 pin connector broke up into 8 wires that went towards the lights.

2 wires went to the marker lights. This was a brown wire and a white wire, the headlight wire and the ground wire. There was a two pin adapter that attached to another unit that had 4 wires come out of it, each pair going to each marker light. That 2 pin plug had electrical tape wrapped around it to prevent it from coming apart due to road vibration and such.

3 wires went to the right rear light. This was a brown wire, a white wire, and the green wire, the headlight wire, the ground wire, and the right turn wire. There were two plugs at the end. One two pin plug for the headlight and right turn wire and another one pin plug for the ground wire. The rear right light had the same 2 pin and 1 pin plug on its wires. So this one pin plug for the ground wire was not connected. These two plugs did not have any electrical tape on them. I assume that is why it came loose. I made sure to secure them VERY VERY VERY well with electrical tape prior to putting it back in.

The last 3 wires were identical and went to the left signal light with one exception. The Green wire was a yellow wire, the left turn wire. The two pin plug on the left side was fine. But the 1 pin ground plug was very loose and was probably gonna drop out as well. I made sure to secure that one with electrical tape as well.

So basically i think the 1 pin ground plug in the rear right side was super loose and i pulled it free when i removed the light when changing the bulb.

I think Karavan needs to use electrical table to fasten the plugs in the rear just as they do for the marker lights.

I rolled it out of the garage and plugged it into my car and all is good.

If you guys got this far down, let me say thanks for all the help once again. Sorry for the long winded response but I feel you guys deserved the full story.

freddyray21

Commander

whoever wired the trailer made it complicated by adding all the extra wires. what a mess

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Glad ya got it fixed. As I said before, I prefer frame grounding. All those extra ground wires are just more problems to show up later, especially the two prong connectors. The fewer conections on tlr wiring, the better. A little vaseline or non conducting grease in all lite sockets is a good idea also.
Good luck,
Mike

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Ya- That is why I usually use crimps AND solder with heat-shrink over them. I have never had to do one of those connections over.

jaydcljr

Recruit

The trailer wiring has a white wire this the ground you need to make sure this is bolted to the trailer. If this bolted to the trailer take it off the trailer an make sure that it has a very clean connection to the frame if there is rust on it the connecting will be intermittent .
Thanks