Trailer light help??

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Dodge Durgano and I just installed a new light kit on my trailer. When the light are hooked up, the brake lights work, signal light work, but the regualr running lights are not working. For instance, The lights only light up when I tap the brake. Any suggestions. I am thinking about re grounding it any other ideas.??

mlslocks

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer light help??

I would check for power at the truck plug just to rule out the truck.Then check the power at the light on the trailer. If you have 12-14 volts at both places i would check grounds.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Afishin69,<br /><br />I agree with MLS - a tester is about $2 and would be a quick way to rule that out. If the brake lights work I'd bet it's a bad connection at the connector on the tounge of the trailer.<br /><br />Good luck!

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay I re grounded the main ground. Now, the running ligts work but when I tap the break the lights go off, and when I signal, both signal lights blink. I am at a loss. Do I even have it wired right i have the yellow wires going to the right and the green to the left. Help??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I suspect that the Dodge has the Euro-style wiring. You will need an adapter.<br /><br />Check with a Dodge dealer.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

White -- Ground<br />Brown -- Tail lights<br />Green -- Right hand directional<br />Yellow -- Left hand directional<br /><br />(You also need a Ground wire at each light.)<br /><br />Do you have the separate amber turn signals on the Durango? You will need to get a converter box for it at your local NAPA auto parts store or any other parts house. Very simple to install. Will have directions in the box...

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like you Still have a Ground Issue........

phatmanmike

Captain

i had same problem with mine, and MY problem was this...<br /><br />there should be two , thats 2, 12volt wires to each light, and one ground..<br /><br />i had 1 12volt and 1 ground....

wgander

Cadet

Ground. I had the same problem and couldn't find out what was going on. Gave up for a couple of days - used the trailer. And now my lights work correctly. I guess the vibration of traveling was enough to make a better contact somewhere.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi Bill<br /><br />The ground was made through the ball and the coupler. Run a separate ground wire from the trailer to the plug on the vehicle or you may wind up with blinking trailer lights. Or either your ground wire on the vehicle or trailer is not making good contact and you just got lucky this time.

wgander

Cadet

The ground is not through ball and coupler, but a separate ground wire.<br />When I replaced the trailer lights I was too lazy to replace the wiring on the tow vehicle.<br />I was frustrated and ran out of time. I had added the harness (about 5 years ago) to the wiring that was provided as part of the trailer package by GM on my tow vehicle. I later had an electric brake controller added for another, non-boat trailer (that I used once). I suspect that the connections (under the tow vehicle) may be corroded after all these years, but since everything's working correctly now, replacing the harness isn't on my list of things to do.