Trailer level-boat level?

Johnnielund

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When choosing a draw bar with the proper offset, should the main beam of the trailer be level, or should the gunwale (proper spelling?) of the boat be level. Assuming of course that the tow vehicle and trailer are parked on level ground.

nboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer level-boat level?

Generally when the trailer tongue is level you should then be able to determine the the correct drop of the draw bar.

tommays

Admiral

you need to have it on the tow car with the correct tongue weight and everything as close to how you are going to tow as you can<br /><br /><br />then you can make what ever change you need up or down<br /><br />i perfer that the front is a littel higher for launching and retriveing the boat<br /><br /><br />tommays

QC

Supreme Mariner

The gunwale angle is not part of the equation for ball height. That is determined by hull design. Just think what the gunwale angle would be if you put the boat on the trailer backwards . . . I'd still want my trailer level. ;) <br /><br />The only reason I don't completely agree with tommays is that with the front a little higher it is harder to get the drive down to a safe point to run on muffs when attached to the tow vehicle. When I finish a saltwater excursion, for example, I want to quickly flush before I put my trailer and boat away. I would prefer to keep the truck and trailer attached during that whole process.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd go for a level trailer every time.<br /><br />It looks better, and the ground clearance is equal front and rear. Hard to say whether it tows better, but I have more peace of mind when towing a level trailer. I mentally wait for the crunch with a low rear end trailer whenever I hit a bump.

tommays

Admiral

my idea of a littel is about and 1" or 2" MAX ;) i be likeing the water to find its way out on the way home<br /><br />and i would need a normal ball and a vacation ball when there is a 1000# of stuff in the truck bed i only carry 1 week a year<br /><br />on my boat trailer you can have the jack stand cranked all the way down and you still cant lower the drive all the way<br /><br />you need to raise the wheels 4.5" to be able to fully lower the drive with the trailer level<br /><br /><br />tommays

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, my last two boats I had to put the jack most of the way down, but I could get the drive down. On this one I can just get it there with it on the truck. I agree with your trailer height reasoning too as long as an inch or tow won't make the difference. Pretty small differemnnces we're talking, that's for sure.