Trailer hitch question

I used to own a jet ski, and sold it to buy an 18' boat so the whole family could enjoy the water. I pulled the ski on the bumper hitch, which says its rated for 3500 lbs, and my boat and trailer are about 2700 lbs total. Is it okay to still use the bumper hitch to pull the boat? The vehicle is a 2000 explorer, but its a lease. When the lease is up, whatever I buy will have a frame hitch on it.<br /><br />Thanks

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer hitch question

MaryAnn gets my vote.<br /><br />Ginger is shark bait.........<br /><br />Use the bumper and just be careful. Since you have probably already scratched it just continue to use it. It should (per the specs) handle the load. Just make sure your tongue weight of the boat is within the bumpers limits also.<br /><br />Come on in, the water is warm.......

Well Ranger354, you are right about scratching the bumper, although not entirely my fault. I had someone directing me as I backed to the water and 2 seconds after I asked how close the tongue was getting to the bumper, it squeezed the handle for the jack wheel !! <br /><br />I also agree, MaryAnn is the real hot one.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I agree. The only problem is stopping with thatmuch behind you...Nothing wrong with it, but be prepaired to stop earlier,and remember, if you lock them up, you risk being pushed and jacknifed.<br />Yer also right abt Mary Ann.<br /><br /><br />
DawnFeastM.jpg

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

MaryAnn!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />She always had the best pie!!!!!! :D

SeaRay245

Petty Officer 3rd Class

u should be just fine ford has come along way with there bumper hitches they are very strong

Searay245,<br />Thanks for the input. I never gave any thought that when I bought my boat I would have to buy an under frame hitch because my neighbor has a 20' fourwinns that he pulled with a bumper hitch on a 99 cherokee. I guess that whatever you tow with, you would still have the same problem with the weight of the boat pushing the truck in a quick stop, as mentioned earlier. I never thought to ask if I should have brakes on it !!<br /><br />PS. My boat is a Searay 180 bowrider.