Trailer hitch height???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer hitch height???

This going to be a bit lengthy but then I'm outa here. A hitch manufacturer can't possibly state what the ball height should be for any vehicle since they have no idea what the trailer being tow will be. They can "estimate", but consider two trailers -- one with eight inch wheels and one with 15 inch wheels. Loaded or not, the coupler height for those trailers, when level, will sit roughly 3.5 inches different. The wheel diameter alone accounts for 7 inches but the radius is 3.5 inches which represents the axle height difference as well. So if the 15 - 16 inch ball height recommendation suggested for the eight inch wheeled trailer is correct, it will be 3.5 inches too low for the 15 inch wheeled trailer. Conversely, if 15 - 16 is correct for the 15 inch trailer, the ball height will be 3.5 inches too high for the 8 inch trailer. That example ignores any difference in sidewall height on the tire so these numbers can change widely. So you see, this is a question that is unanswerable unless data is provided. Data that is easy to gather by simply getting out a ruler and measuring the level trailer or one similar too it.

I recognize that not everyone is good at visualizing problems or deductive reasoning and I really feel for those folks and try to help them by attempting to get them to think. For example, my frustration with people not reading the READ THIS FIRST sticky on the prop forum is the main reason I have simply limited my help over there. I have "suggested" that people obtain a service manual for their engine if they intend to do their own service work. Many of those people get terse because if they wanted to spend the big bucks for a manual they wouldn't come here. People claim they want to "learn" but a bothersome trend seems to be learning is simply asking a question and getting an answer. That is not learning. Learning is understanding "why" the answer is what it is and how it was arrived at. I spent the last 44 years teaching adults from all over the world on complex topics and never had to deal with the types of "he/she hurt my feelings" kind of issues we are seeing here more and more frequently. I dread the day when every statement needs to end with a smile face :) Buck up folks -- life is too short.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...... A hitch manufacturer can't possibly state what the ball height should be for any vehicle since they have no idea what the trailer being tow will be. They can "estimate", but consider two trailers -- one with eight inch wheels and one with 15 inch wheels. Loaded or not, the coupler height for those trailers, when level, will sit roughly 3.5 inches different. The wheel diameter alone accounts for 7 inches but the radius is 3.5 inches which represents the axle height difference as well. So if the 15 - 16 inch ball height recommendation suggested for the eight inch wheeled trailer is correct, it will be 3.5 inches too low for the 15 inch wheeled trailer. Conversely, if 15 - 16 is correct for the 15 inch trailer, the ball height will be 3.5 inches too high for the 8 inch trailer. That example ignores any difference in sidewall height on the tire so these numbers can change widely. So you see, this is a question that is unanswerable unless data is provided. Data that is easy to gather by simply getting out a ruler and measuring the level trailer or one similar too it........Learning is understanding "why" the answer is what it is and how it was arrived at. I spent the last 44 years teaching adults from all over the world on complex topics and never had to deal with the types of "he/she hurt my feelings" kind of issues we are seeing here more and more frequently. I dread the day when every statement needs to end with a smile face :) Buck up folks -- life is too short.......

Hey Silvertip-

I respect your experience and have learned a lot from various threads which I have seen your posts. I appreciate the time you take to explain things. And I have also read some stuff that makes me understand why one might become irritated with people who want an instant, universal, plug-and-play answer.

The knowledge base on this site is why I finally signed up after years of "lurking" Not a bunch of whiners and drivel posts.

Generic, "standardized" hitch heights are probably a misnomer, since each vehicle is different. While zarillus did not give us enough info, I think he might be a little inexperienced- that's OK with me. [I]woosterken[/I] posted a nice diagram of how zarillus could arrive at the correct answer for himself.

I am not questioning your wisdom and experience, and I also realize that variances among trailers and vehicles exist. That is why I own several drops/rises! However, almost every single-axle trailer which I can tow with my vehicles uses the same drop to ride level on that vehicle. My boat trailer however has 8" tires and rides a very slight amount tongue down (maybe a degree-ish), while my 12' Pace American single axle construction trailer with 15" rims rode level on the same hitch setup (except when I overloaded it once:redface:), and my camper trailer rode dead level with 10" rims. The spring perches on each are attached or welded in different places on their respective frames, too. Draw Tite and Reese paperwork suggest a generic vehicle hitch height of 15-16" and then you use whatever drop you need to make your trailer ride level. Most of the kits on stock vehicles wind up there, that's all I was trying to say.

While I don't think that there are "published standards" for trailer manufacturers, it seems that most single-axle trailers like about a 15-16" hitch height, and tandems seem to be standard at about 16-20"

After building several trailers and towing all sorts of stuff over the last 20+ years, those numbers have seemed to work out.

I wasn't trying to diss you silvertip. We value your knowledge and collaboration however.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys thanks for all the comments and help!! The reading material is great!! I can now make an informed decision on the trailer and what i need to do.I didn't mean to stir up the hornets nest.

Thanks Everybody!!

mohntr

Recruit

Hey guys thanks for all the comments and help!! The reading material is great!! I can now make an informed decision on the trailer and what i need to do.I didn't mean to stir up the hornets nest.

Thanks Everybody!!
16-21 inches

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Level trailer is important- Just a side note - several hitch manufacturers suggest a 15-16" hitch height, for what it's worth.
So, what do they know.

I have 3 tow vehicles and 4 boat trailers. ALL have the drawbar adjusted to 19" and they all pull all of the trailers level.

As an aside, what bothers me is when people ask a question, and when I google it for them, 234 answers come up. I guess its too simple to ask a question rather than look it up, when others will do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.