Trailer for the 1966 Larson Lapline

rubberbelly

Seaman
Well I had started a thread several years back then life happened, well I just got my trailer out of storage and am going to start on it but found my thread is closed what a bummer. So I felt the need to share with someone so here I am again....

here is my original thread, 1966 Larson Lapline.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=278526&page=1

And here is the trailer I will start disassembling soon.
Trailer000.JPGtrailer001.JPGtrailer002.JPGTrailer004.JPG

My plan so far is to get it stripped down and go from there. Hope to get parts ordered soon as well.

Thanks,
Jason

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer for the 1966 Larson Lapline

I am new to the site but I just bought an 18' 69 Larson lapline and I'll be interested to follow your build. Good luck with it and keep the pics comming.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

rubberbelly-I had an old gator trailer but opted for a newer float on style,mine was really hard to load

Mikeyboy-Let me know if you have any rebuild questions i just did my 67 Larson All-American 166

johnny howe

Seaman

I have that exact trailer for my 1966 larson. someone has put the carpeted bunks down the side, i do have the rollers. Does your boat fit on it with the spare tire mounted where it is?

johnny howe

Seaman

hey, i just noticed your in kansas city... i live in nkc by harrahs. close?

rubberbelly

Seaman

hey, i just noticed your in kansas city... i live in nkc by harrahs. close?

Funny yes I am down in Lees Summit and my boat came from the Smithville area :)

The boat does fit on the trailer where the spare is currently mounted. Take a look at my original build thread as there are pictures with the boat on it.

As far as an update, I am looking at paint and believe I will be going with POR-15 once I get it stripped down to bare metal then I may top coat with their WhiteCoat....

zarillus - Yeah I want to keep the style of this trailer so I am willing to do the work and hopefully it works when I am done.

Jason

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Well I had started a thread several years back then life happened, well I just got my trailer out of storage and am going to start on it but found my thread is closed what a bummer. So I felt the need to share with someone so here I am again....

here is my original thread, 1966 Larson Lapline.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=278526&page=1

And here is the trailer I will start disassembling soon.
View attachment 140351View attachment 140352View attachment 140353View attachment 140354

My plan so far is to get it stripped down and go from there. Hope to get parts ordered soon as well.

Thanks,
Jason

Wow...around here that's "great" condition:eek:

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your going to use that trailer in salt i would highly recommend using a prime coat followed by 3 coats of cold galvanizing compound the stuff that has the 97% Zinc in it and roll it on so you can get good coverage it really does work.You may have to touch it up every couple years or so.I made the mistake of painting mine with rusty metal primer and then topcoating with rustoleum.I dipped in the ocean only 3 times and completly rinsed it off every time and it rusted in a matter of weeks.

rubberbelly

Seaman

This has been and will remain a fresh water trailer/boat.

Started disassembling last night and I will likely replace the tongue square tube, it is abused enough up by the coupler. The rest of the metal is looking good, need to find someone to sandblast it for me once I get it apart.

Question:
Is there anything I should consider doing to the inside of the tubing of the main rails (rectangle tubing)?

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Square tube drill holes underneath to let water drain

rubberbelly

Seaman

sorry my question may not have been worded well. As I restore the existing tube, is there any suggestions for cleaning the rust/buildup out of the center of the tube and coat with anything or just leave it bare metal as is?

rubberbelly

Seaman

Got the trailer torn down to pieces, started sand blasting brackets. Guess I need to get paint coming. What color should I go with? Black, white or silver?

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Have you considered red to match that pretty boat?

rubberbelly

Seaman

That pretty red one in the other thread is Swivelharts Larson:).

rubberbelly

Seaman

So my new bench top sandblaster and I have been busy when we have had time to spend together :D Haven't decided if I am going to pay someone to blast the larger parts or build me a temporary blasting shelter. A few of the pieces have even gotten a coat of POR15.

Oh and for reference this is a Holsclaw trailer. Hope to be ordering rollers and lights this week, some of the rollers are odd sizes so not sure what I am going to do there.

Attachments

• IMAG1010.jpg
    IMAG1010.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0

rubberbelly

Seaman

Dear diary,
Yes I am slow but getting a little bit done here and there.

All of the small parts are sandblasted and some have even got a coat of POR15 on them. The larger pieces I just got back from their blasting and hope to have some paint on them this weekend if time permits. One item I will address is the trailer tongue, it will likely get all new metal as the coupler area is showing its age. One of the fenders needs a little TLC.

Attachments

• image(12)6x4.jpg
    image(12)6x4.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG10306x4.jpg
    IMAG10306x4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image(14)6x4.jpg
    image(14)6x4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image(15)6x4.jpg
    image(15)6x4.jpg