Trailer Bunk Carpeting

lord1234

Cadet
Some of the carpet towards the back of my trailer is a bit frayed. Can I just cover it, or do I need to replace the entire bunk worth of carpet all at once?

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice
Years ago, when reading about how some were using indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot as bunk carpet, I had tried it and had found that it sure did not last anywhere near as good as I had expected. I had spliced on some more of the carpet but because the stuff was so cheap, it just did not last.

A neighbor, who is a firefighter, had left a fire hose on the street and I had taken it home, cut it to length and installed it over my bunks and it has been working quite well. That the outer fabric layers are two-deep, and with the rubber hose underneath, if I had to do it all again, I'd even buy old fire hose online as the stuff just plain works. I also used Monel staples for no-rust.

I had also covered the inner edges of my trailer fenders as when I was loading, and getting a bit off-center on the trailer, my hull was hitting/contacting the fenders. Now that I have riveted the hose to my inner fender.

Splicing or just laying some over the busted parts of the carpet works though. It is just material over another material after all.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I bought some good quality indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes (not the really thin, cheap, plasticky green stuff) and cut it into strips. It has held up remarkable well. I occasionally (once a season?) treat it with silicone spray to help it stay slippery. The carpet is 5-6 years old and still looks great.

You can buy pre-cut strips of bunk carpet, but if I recall correctly, it was rather pricey.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my trailer supply store sells bunk carpet by the foot in various widths. its about a $1-2 a foot.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Lots of marine carpet places actually sell bunk size pre-cut carpet for boats. Not that expensive and since it is made for a marine application, it works and wears very well. Just a suggestion. And the color options are near endless. JMHO