Trailer Brakes

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Might want to check and see where Timken country of origin on those parts. I mostly see China for Timken.
I purchase some Seachoice hubs the box say made in the USA Pompano FL and on the hub has made in China stamped on it
The last 20 or so Timken bearings I have purchased have all said "Made in USA" on the side of the bearing and race themselves. The Timken Seals were made India. I am guessing you don't purchase Timken bearings!

I buy the SET4 and the SET17 sizes for my utility and travel trailer. Both are made in USA.

My Cobalt boat trailer has vault bearings. I have never touched that setup yet

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Might want to check and see where Timken country of origin on those parts. I mostly see China for Timken.
I purchase some Seachoice hubs the box say made in the USA Pompano FL and on the hub has made in China stamped on it
Many companies do that today, it is how they are checked over when they get here ! Have a friend that works for the "I phone" folks...when a batch comes in from China, each one is tested and inspected because China does not allow our inspectors into the country to inspect before shipping. On average he says only one in five pass the final inspection, the reason they are so expensive !! The rest are saved for re-man parts.....many companies do that today.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
The last 20 or so Timken bearings I have purchased have all said "Made in USA" on the side of the bearing and race themselves. The Timken Seals were made India. I am guessing you don't purchase Timken bearings!

I buy the SET4 and the SET17 sizes for my utility and travel trailer. Both are made in USA.

My Cobalt boat trailer has vault bearings. I have never touched that setup yet
I use to purchase TimKen hubs for my Mercury Mountaineer until I switched to MOOG. None of which said made in USA from TimKen. MOOG maid in Taiwan.
Here is a link on Amazon for the SET4 scroll down to Technical Details and you will see country of origin CHINA.
These say USA so its a mixed bag. I would be careful as I see people reviews thinking its made in USA but it say CHINA
1716804430979.png

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Many companies do that today, it is how they are checked over when they get here ! Have a friend that works for the "I phone" folks...when a batch comes in from China, each one is tested and inspected because China does not allow our inspectors into the country to inspect before shipping. On average he says only one in five pass the final inspection, the reason they are so expensive !! The rest are saved for re-man parts.....many companies do that today.

I have a very hard time believing the “I phone folks” would accept a manufacturer with an 80% failure rate. That is not believable.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a very hard time believing the “I phone folks” would accept a manufacturer with an 80% failure rate. That is not believable.
No to mention I know for a fact that China does not restrict inspection.

Traveled to and from my ex-employers manufacturing facility in Shanghai many times over the years. Company offered me a 5 year, GM position at the facility prior to my departure

Great opportunity. Would have taken the position if both kids where not in high school at the time

airshot

Rear Admiral
Believe what you want but China makes them so cheap they don't care. The real cost us added on due to the rigorous testing when they arrive in the US ! If you know anyone involved with foreign inspections in the U S you will see that is not uncommon at all. One reason the US wants to deal with Tiwain, they allow US quality control inspectors into there country where China does not !

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
I got a chance this morning to remove my rotors and inspect what was causing the right front wheel to smoke. It was the brake caliper. Just a bit of light pressure on the inner pad and it went back with no issue. Since I removed the rotors and know I had a little water in from last year, I will replace the bearings r since I have them out. The races still look good, I will grease the calipers with some anti seize and put back together and take it for a road trip .

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
Ah man now I am having it. Just got back from the store and my truck caliper seized on me.

cyclops222

Ensign
So the greedy... Screw the customer companies. Have raised their prices to make sure they are making good profits.
Works for me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well...My set17 is USA

Attachments

• IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 2

cyclops222

Ensign
Decades ago the USA business companies had congress pass the USA made in America ...CONTENT .... bill / law. It started with about 60%. Then 50 %. Then the Assembled in USA % reductions.
Sell out everything for more profit. The American business company way for another dollar. Do a web search on those statements. Very sad.
We even were going to let Foreign Companies build the super computers in all our military aircraft. Let Arab companies do National Security Services.
Anything for a dollar more.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
Well...My set17 is USA
unfortunately......demarko is correct....I checked..
sure enough, set 17 on amazon says "usa"
but scroll down, says china country of origin....

Attachments

• IMG_3463.png
    IMG_3463.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3464.png
    IMG_3464.png
    322.7 KB · Views: 3

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
I think if they are stamped Made in USA its ok, not saying the China ones are not ok just to ease some people mind

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
What I will have to do for this trailer is keep a extra set of calipers rebuilt so the next time I will just need to just pop on the extra set and get a rebuild kit for the bad ones. Slider pins still looks good except for 1 seems to look weird in the threads. Boots still look good to me I will grease them.
I only dunk this trailer about 12-15 times since 2021 when I put the new brakes and actuator on for inspection. When I pull out the ramp I always flush the motor (flushing port) and wash down the hubs at the marina before parking in my spot.
Trailer should not have no more than 600 miles on it since I got it in 2020 and I want to say 300 miles as I do not take it up the road much unless I am bring it home to my parking spot to work on it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Decades ago the USA business companies had congress pass the USA made in America ...CONTENT .... bill / law. It started with about 60%. Then 50 %. Then the Assembled in USA % reductions.
Sell out everything for more profit. The American business company way for another dollar. Do a web search on those statements. Very sad.
We even were going to let Foreign Companies build the super computers in all our military aircraft. Let Arab companies do National Security Services.
Anything for a dollar more.
47 years and counting in manufacturing. 30+ of those years in management positions. Lived through the downfall of manufacturing in the US. Nothing to do with greed. It was survival

Follow the money….
Three parties put manufacturing out of business in the US.

STEM….good
Welder, machinist and mill rights..…bad
Half of the population couldn’t change a flat tire if their life depended on it

Janitor, now Facilities Management Technician, should be able to afford a Corvette and boat, too.
Sleeping on the job, dragging out a job and “it’s not my job” attitudes are acceptable, if not encouraged at times

Need a permit (and 2 years) to get a permit….
Electronics manufacturing is very dirty (hazardous material) and labor intensive.
Currently paying almost as much to dispose of our hazardous wastes as it cost to buy them.
Seen the cost of chrome plating, if you can even find someone to do it?

You can rent a beach front villa with full services in Thailand for less than $700 US per week.
Are the other countries “poor peasants” or is the USD that highly inflated over the other world currencies?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
unfortunately......demarko is correct....I checked..
sure enough, set 17 on amazon says "usa"
but scroll down, says china country of origin....
LOL...I just bought these recently from Amazon!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
We even were going to let Foreign Companies build the super computers in all our military aircraft.
Define "let foreign companies build" super computers. I was an engineer and designer on the F-22 Flight computer. Nowhere did foreign companies build anything other than some of the chips which we designed.

Right now TSMC fabs 90% of the world's chips which is why they are building a factory in Arizona. Nvidia which is the 3rd largest company in the world has TSMC fab their chips.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I think if they are stamped Made in USA its ok, not saying the China ones are not ok just to ease some people mind
beating dead horses but:

the bearing and race are just stamped"usa". The box says made in the usa....these were purchased 3-4 years ago.
Maybe only the box is made in the usa..😳

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpeg
    IMG_3472.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
then there is this...

Attachments

• IMG_3473.png
    IMG_3473.png
    957.8 KB · Views: 6

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
Right now TSMC fabs 90% of the world's chips which is why they are building a factory in Arizona.
They are building in Arizona encase China invades Taiwan so the chips will keep coming and we would have access to that special machine that kicks out these smart chips. Also covid was another reason.