Trailer bearings wear out ultra quickly.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
My trailer bearings wear out very quickly. As in after driving a mile or so. I pack them and install them correctly, however in that Mile drive, the trailer has been dipped in salt water launching the boat at least 8 or so times. Is the grease getting washed out? Not sure what else to do. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Most likely the seals are not sealing very well on the axle. Pack bearings, dunk the boat, pull the hubs and see if there is water.

If there is, you could try bearing buddies, not great but better then nothing

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. The bearing buddies on the front seem fine; do you think that perhaps salt waters getting in from behind the seal? The seal seems pretty good m; I put in a brand-new one each time let me know thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Thank you. The bearing buddies on the front seem fine; do you think that perhaps salt waters getting in from behind the seal? The seal seems pretty good m; I put in a brand-new one each time let me know thanks.
The front seem fine?

Is this a tandem axle trailer and the front are ok?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
It is tandem but they all go bad so quickly. What I meant is the outer seals are solid. But when they all fall apart, the inner and outer bearings are completely done. Gone. The outer seals are five though.

alldodge

Staff member
ok
The inner seals are leaking and the salt water is destroying the bearings. The outer bearing buddy's do keep water out but is no good so long as the inner are leaking

Need better seals or most likely the axles sealing surfaces are out of spec (have been worn down some). Might be able to use a speedy sleeve to install over the axle area, or may need new axles. Not sure if slightly smaller ID seals can be found

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Very helpful. Thanks. I installed speedy sleeves about 6 years ago but I think I got ones that are too big in diameter. They likely let salt water in. I just replaced the leak springs two years ago so replacing the axles is not preferred. I’ll look into the speedy sleeves. Question on the sleeves- they are just for the inner bearings and seals, right? My axles are pretty rough.

alldodge

Staff member
sleeves- they are just for the inner bearings and seals, right?
Yes, just used to rejuvenate a area that would otherwise need to be replaced

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. I’ve used speedy sleeves before with good results. I’ll try those. My challenge with them in the past is getting them all the way towards the “back” of the axle; the ones I’ve used are about two inches long and the axle is closer to 6”, so the speedy sleeve is just for the inner seal? Or are there speedy sleeves that will extend from the inner to the outer bearings?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you. I’ve used speedy sleeves before with good results. I’ll try those. My challenge with them in the past is getting them all the way towards the “back” of the axle; the ones I’ve used are about two inches long and the axle is closer to 6”, so the speedy sleeve is just for the inner seal? Or are there speedy sleeves that will extend from the inner to the outer bearings?
your axle seal area where the sleeve rides on should be larger in diameter than the bearing surface. most trailers have about a 1-3/4" diameter seal, a 1-3/8" inner bearing and a 1-1/16" outer bearing

jhande

Chief Petty Officer

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. Here are some pictures of my axle (kind of pitted) and current speedy sleeve. I installed this sleeve in 2016. Note that it’s chewed up a bit and I placed it on the inner “thicker” part of the axle. Please note it slides on perfectly wellI; doesn’t need to be pushed on with any force. I’ve ordered four new speedy sleeves (same size) and bearing kits. Thanks all for your advice.

Attachments

• 9311B619-824D-4A36-A0EB-CF18DC443F0C.jpeg
    9311B619-824D-4A36-A0EB-CF18DC443F0C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 74EF86EF-C16D-4B17-9FAA-E1EE65F9A3B6.jpeg
    74EF86EF-C16D-4B17-9FAA-E1EE65F9A3B6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 3A6D5F42-D661-4816-9EE4-FE38DDBCA3D8.jpeg
    3A6D5F42-D661-4816-9EE4-FE38DDBCA3D8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 6F35646F-CB96-4638-B953-0820157D1700.jpeg
    6F35646F-CB96-4638-B953-0820157D1700.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

alldodge

Staff member
Speedy sleeves are not going to fix this issue, you need new axles.

The sleeve needs to fit tight and from the looks of the old, its slipping. In most cases you would heat up the sleeve getting it pretty hot and use oven or welding gloves to put it on

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Good thing you're buying new axles!
Both bearing surfaces are really trashed and the rest of the axle looks really bad.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I agree. Thank you. I did have one question. I went to etrailer.com to look for new axles. I found the right axles that match two out of three measurements that etrailer recommends taking. The outer length is 95 inches on my axle- good there. The bolt to bolt (wheel mounting bolts) distance is 2 5/8 inches- good there too.

The one measurement that does not match is center of leafspring to center of leafspring; the axle that I want to purchase says it has to be 80 inches and my axles are closer to 72 inches. Is this 8 inch difference going to be an issue? Thanks everyone and happy 4th.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The one measurement that does not match is center of leafspring to center of leafspring; the axle that I want to purchase says it has to be 80 inches and my axles are closer to 72 inches. Is this 8 inch difference going to be an issue? Thanks everyone and happy 4th.
yes, this is the one measurement that is a bit more important than the other 2.

this is where your leaf springs ride. if you can weld, you can weld in new spring perches