Trailer bearing tightness question

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer bearing tightness question

Oh yeah, should I replace that metal dowel that holds the nut in place? If so, I'm assuming a cotter pin is fine to use.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Some axles have such course thread nuts, that getting it "just right" can be problematic.

And many times, even with fine thread, and only one cross hole to use, you still may not find that "sweet spot".

That being said, ON MY TRAILERS there will always be some, but minimal play in the bearings.

On most any, or all of my trailers, I will hunt down double, or triple lip seals, with a good amount of (what I'll call) deflection properties. That is to say that if the bearing cannot be "set" without some level of discernible slop, the seal is going to seal, and not leave the sealing surface.

Just remember.....

You have all week to get it right, and Sunday afternoon, on the side of the freeway, with the wheel passing you by, and the axle ruined, is no place to be.

Post edited...............................
I had posted the above response, but have come back to find the thread has evolved into some ezlub, or ezlube specific thread and not having personal experience with said system(s) please take what I have posted as such.

MASTER Brian

Some axles have such course thread nuts, that getting it "just right" can be problematic.

And many times, even with fine thread, and only one cross hole to use, you still may not find that "sweet spot".

That being said, ON MY TRAILERS there will always be some, but minimal play in the bearings.

On most any, or all of my trailers I will hunt down double, or triple lip seals, with good amount of (what I'll call) deflection properties. That is to say that if the bearing cannot be "set" without some level of discernible slop, the seal is going to seal, and not leave the sealing surface.

Just remember.....

You have all week to get it right, and Sunday afternoon on the side of the freeway with the wheel passing you by and the axle ruined is no place to be.

Or Friday the 13th at about 6:30 PM, 90*+ outside, in a not so good part of town with a hungry 2 year old!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Oh yeah, should I replace that metal dowel that holds the nut in place? If so, I'm assuming a cotter pin is fine to use.

Never reuse a cotter pin. Doing so is an accident waiting to happen.

MASTER Brian

Never reuse a cotter pin. Doing so is an accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, I know I shouldn't reuse a cotter pin, but what about a "dowel"? I haven't seen those used before. I can get a picture if need be.

I know I could replace it with a cotter pin, but I would thing the dowel would be stronger/better. Maybe I'm wrong. This is definately something that was most likely stock on this trailer.

Thanks again....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I know I shouldn't reuse a cotter pin, but what about a "dowel"? I haven't seen those used before. I can get a picture if need be.

I know I could replace it with a cotter pin, but I would thing the dowel would be stronger/better. Maybe I'm wrong. This is definately something that was most likely stock on this trailer.

Thanks again....

By 'dowel' do you mean a Roll Pin? Roll Pin looks like rolled up sheet metal, is very hard, and is usually designed to be a tight fit and driven in.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I believe Champion Trailer has a good picture of how the EZ Lub hub works. If not, just Google EZ Lub spindle and there should be a ton of pictures and descriptions. If a special pin rather than a cotter pin is used, I'd want to know why but I think I know. The pin hole must pass through the horizontal hole through the hub. If a cotter pin was used, grease would likely ooze through the cotter pin hole and possibly defeat the purpose of the EZ Lub system. Just a hunch on my part.

MASTER Brian

Mark42, it doesn't appear to be tightly rolled sheet metal, it looks like a solid pin, other than that it fits your description.

Silvertip, I checked out the Champion Trailers site and it contains a lot of good info on preloading the bearings and as you said, has a description of the "EZ Lube" axles. They actually call it something else, but same thing. I also did a search for EZ Lube axle and found Dexter's website, who actually owns the term.

In any case, both of these sites would lead me to believe, I should totally fill the hub with grease. If anyone has a difference in opinion on this, I'd appreciate the heads up.

After seeing how this is designed to work, I also agree, it would probably defeat the purpose of the EZ Lube axle if I used a cotter pin. Should I try to find a new "Roll/Dowel" pin or are my current ones likely ok? My understanding on cotter pins is they tend to get weaker/brittle after bending them to take them off.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Roll Pins are quite common and can be found at most hardware stores. If it's not bent or damaged and fits tightly, it should not be necessary to replace it. But -- they are inexpensive so why not use a new one. Your local farm store, or a home improvement store like Lowes, Home Depot, etc., will have them. Even the Mom & Pop and chain-type hardware stores tend to stock them.

Bigprairie1

Commander

..well I just got back from some vacation and I logged about 900km (aka 600 miles) on my repacked bearings. Glad I did those.
I used the 'zero apparent' clearance method when I packed them and installed the nuts & cotter. I checked them every hour on the highway through some hot weather...and no problems. At best the hub was mildly warm, easy to touch....never hot, and this was probably in 30+celcius/90+fahrenheit conditions and checked immediately fresh off the highway.
Ok, that worked...thats a good one for the files for me.
Now...if I could do something about getting some more power out that truck!!!!!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I preload to make sure the races are all the way seated and the grease is pushed out of the way. Then back way off and tighten finger tight and install the key. Double check after a few miles for tire play. If normal play your all set.

Hear is a link to Champion Trailers.

http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#pre-loadbearings

MASTER Brian

I know I've asked this and I know it's been discussed, but I am still a bit concerned about the tightness of my bearings.

I pre-loaded the bearings then backed the nut(s) off and re-tightened finger tight. At just finger tight and installing pin at first chance, I get a slight back and fourth movement (easily felt) and the wheel, with a slight spin with hand, rotates freely about 4 times. If I go just a bit tighter I can't seem feel the back and fourth movement and the wheel spins only about 1 1/2 times when I lightly spin it.

Where should I leave this? I think I am a bit confused, because I can easily feel the rocking, but can't seem to see it, when just over finger tight. With this setting the wheel doesn't feel like it's brakeing though. The next setting the bearing feels snugger, but the wheel feels like a brake has somewhat been applied and I can't seem to feel any movement.

Please help me out on this....

tommays

Admiral

Are you checking with the tire on or off :confused:

A bit lose will do better than a bit tight :D as with heat it will get a bit tighter ;)

Tommays

MASTER Brian

Are you checking with the tire on or off :confused:

A bit lose will do better than a bit tight :D as with heat it will get a bit tighter ;)

Tommays

Tire on.

If I could just split the difference, I think it would be perfect. Unfortunately that isn't an option.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it gives noticable resistance then it is too tight. Back it off to the closest setting you can is the best you are going to do.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Tire on.

If I could just split the difference, I think it would be perfect. Unfortunately that isn't an option.

Champion trailers or not, I think the finger tightening method is crap. Put a wrench on the nut, tighten it as tight as it will go with reasonable force while spinning the wheel. From that point, back off 120 degrees, or 1/3 of a turn, line up a pin hole and you're done.

There should be no "back and forth" movement.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Champion trailers or not, I think the finger tightening method is crap.

I do it the Champion trailers method too. In fact, many automotive service manuals recommend the same procedure.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I do it the Champion trailers method too. In fact, many automotive service manuals recommend the same procedure.

I don't doubt that. I just think there is too much room for error in that method. Not to mention that for the first 20-40 miles you get to worry about it (is is tight enough? is it too tight?) because at that point, you have to pull over, jack it up and check for end play and be prepared redo it if your "finger tight" wasn't "finger tight" enough. I learned the 120 deg. method from the techs at the MBZ dealership here many years ago when my car was getting serviced. That's how they do it and I've been using it ever since and it works every time. There is no need to recheck it once you do it, either. When you're done, you're done.

But, it probably wasn't fair to call the finger method "crap". I should have said "inefficient" or "laborious".:)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

With the champion trailer method. You preload...then back off...then finger tight. You still feel some play when you are done because the backing off part gives you your play.

When I do "finger tight" I turn the nut with hardly any pressure at all. I will pick the cotter pin hole on the looser side if it happens to be where it lines up. You want to be able to feel the slightest of play in the wheel.

I think we are all accomplishing the same thing but using slightly different methods. After doing this for over 30 years, this is the one I have picked as best for me.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have use the champion trailer method I posted since 1980 and never had a bearing go bad on my tandom axel trailer in the 27 years I owned it. The only time you really need to check the wheel after a few miles is if your changed all the races and bearings and are not sure you got them all tight on the spindle.

You should be able to feel some play when you rock the wheel top to bottom. No Play then the bearing is too tight. If neither of the holes are ligned up for the pin after finger tight then loosen until one is.