Trailer and Boat Rough Ride

btomlins1

Recruit
I have a OMC 17 1/2' Roughneck Tunnel Jet Boat on a Shorelander Bunk trailer. The entire setup fully loaded weighs about 2600lbs. I have had the welded seams on my aluminum fuel tanks split twice, I can't keep tail lights on, and I've lost a wheel bearing in the last year. My fishing spot is 12 miles of gravel road that is not the best. I have learned that the previous owner replaced the original axel with a Dexter 3500lb unit. He also changed the springs to two 1750lb leaf springs. I am wondering if that package is way to stiff for the weight of my set up? I am mindful of how rough the road is so I don't travel very fast. The fuel tank is a factory welded fuel cell. Its located at the transom. I reconfigured the mounting hardware of the tank so it has some cushion and is not rigidly mounted. Would a plastic tank be any better? Highway driving seems fine. My 15" tires say to run at 50 PSI. I've read where I could lower the pressure to improve the ride but don't want to blow a sidewall. I'm looking for recommendations on what to change or do?

XS POWER

Seaman Apprentice
How fast ya bangen down this gravel road, take some pressure out ya tyres for the gravel, pump em back up wen you hit that bitchumine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
too stiff an axle and springs will beat your boat to death. suggest dropping springs down to something a bit softer and air down the tires a bit.

XS POWER

Seaman Apprentice
Common practice here to drop pressures in tyres by 30% on corrugated roads including vehicle. Drop speed till its comfortable.