Trailer adjustments

bbc0

Cadet
Folks my question is how far on the trailer should the boat ride. When I back up down the ramp I have to go so far into the water that my exhaust is submerged. The boat sits quite far forward near the hitch. I am wondering how far rearward I can move it on the trailer to make unloading and loading easier? It's an EZ loader trailer and the parts can be loosened and repositioned on the frame. There is a lot of weight on the hitch at present. Any help is appreciated

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer adjustments

there should be 10% of the weight of your trailer on the hitch. so if your boat and trailer weighs 4000, then you should have 400 on the hitch. if you move it to far back and have less then that then you will get the trailer swerving around at higher speed, and the same if you have to much. so it sounds like you need to move it back some, to get it more over the axles to put the weight on the trailer and not the hitch.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

10% tongue weight is a good guideline. A photo of your boat on the trailer would give us all a better idea. Check your current tongue weight with the bathroom scales. Depending on how it is at present you may be able to move the boat back and load your gear differently to maintain the required tongue weight. Just have to make sure you have enough boat on the trailer supports though.
Photo and current tongue weight is the best thing right now before you consider moving anything.

bbc0

Cadet

I just realized that my trailer sits higher than most. It has 13" wheels. Most look smaller to me. The axle sits under the leaf springs and I was wondering if I could relocate it to be above the springs which would lower the height of the boat quite a bit.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

there are many dymanics to setting up a trailer.

to be able to launch in shallower water you can do any number of things..

you would add to the length of your tounge!!!!( usually last resort)

YOU COULD GO WITH SMALLER TIRES( not a great idea they turn faster per MPH and burn up bearings faster..or can)

you could get a drop axel....where the frame of the trailer sits much lower in relationship to the center of the wheels

you could lower the bunks and or rollers as low as they can go on ther trailer frame

you could move the boat back on the trailer..( following the rough 10% rule of course)

o you want to make sure the boat is not hanging off the back of your bunks( especially if it is aluminum) so if you need to change the balance of the boat on the trailer to get with in the 10% rule..and you are alredy at the back of your bunks or rollers...you can move the axel forward!!!!

yes most trailers have a few sets of holes to mount the axel

good luck

bob

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can try a drop hitch or possibly raise the hitch. On some ramps I back up some and the boat comes partially off the trailer. I pull forward then back up again and it comes off the rest of the way. Does it do it on all ramps?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Trailer axles can be flipped (mounted on top of the springs rather than below them) ONLY if the axle is not cambered. Cambered axles have a slight upward bend in the middle that you can easily detect by standing about 20 feet behind the trailer and looking at the center of the axle.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Extend the tongue.