Trail Cam pix......

WIMUSKY

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
20,550
There is the argument there may be too many deer. Where i live they are almost pets.
There's plenty of deer around here that are pets... Alot of people feed them. Some eat straight from the corn bucket.... I don't feed, but they still come in the yard to eat grass. I have to spray plants and shrubs to keep them off...
 

WIMUSKY

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
20,550
Boy, I would and have ... they are hard on the deer population!
I get it. Bear are tough on the fawns too and we have a bunch in the area. I quit feeding birds during summer to keep the bear out of the yard. They like to show up during the day.
The older I get the softer I have become, I shoot nothing "extra" besides red squirrels....
 

FLATHEAD

Rear Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
4,127
There's plenty of deer around here that are pets... Alot of people feed them. Some eat straight from the corn bucket.... I don't feed, but they still come in the yard to eat grass. I have to spray plants and shrubs to keep them off...
That’s an issue for sure. When you get in that area that’s between suburbia and rural you get a lot of folks feeding deer just to have them around to watch. It becomes a problem for many people.
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,637
Guy that's been studying ticks for years says each deer supports 3 million ticks each year
 

FLATHEAD

Rear Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
4,127
Guy that's been studying ticks for years says each deer supports 3 million ticks each year
Seems like a lot. I will say every deer I’ve shot in the past 25 years had ticks. Strong dislike for those blood suckers.
 

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,019
Guy that's been studying ticks for years says each deer supports 3 million ticks each year
Gee ! the weight alone would drag a deer down ....and the blood loss would be huge ....no wonder they raid gardens , they must be looking for high iron and protein foods .
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,637
Gee ! the weight alone would drag a deer down ....and the blood loss would be huge ....no wonder they raid gardens , they must be looking for high iron and protein foods .
No, not all at once, and talking about there life time

A single female tick lays thousands of eggs
The eggs hatch into 6 leg larva
Larva finds birds or mice
Larva sheds skin and becomes Nymph
Nymph molts into adult and this is when they want a deer, dog, human

And the cycle repeats

We find ticks on deer that have been killed, but how many dropped off after getting all they need and lay more eggs
 

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,019
No, not all at once, and talking about there life time

A single female tick lays thousands of eggs
The eggs hatch into 6 leg larva
Larva finds birds or mice
Larva sheds skin and becomes Nymph
Nymph molts into adult and this is when they want a deer, dog, human

And the cycle repeats

We find ticks on deer that have been killed, but how many dropped off after getting all they need and lay more eggs
:D yeah , I figured but it did say "3 million ticks each year ". I dont think I have ever seen one here but my cat treatment says " fleas , ticks and worms " Apparently we do have the Haemaphysalis longicornis Tick here but not in great numbers .
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,637
:D yeah , I figured but it did say "3 million ticks each year ". I dont think I have ever seen one here but my cat treatment says " fleas , ticks and worms " Apparently we do have the Haemaphysalis longicornis Tick here but not in great numbers .
That's was the words used by the guy on the news, but maybe he didn't say year
 

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,019
That's was the words used by the guy on the news, but maybe he didn't say year
yeah , all that aside ....they cant be nice for the deer .
Im trying to think what use a tick would be nature wise ...like if we suddenly wiped out all the ticks , what would happen :unsure:
 

FLATHEAD

Rear Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
4,127
Just what you want to see right at the start of archery season. This is a piece of private that I have hunted for 20 years. Guy has no buisness in there.
IMG_8681.jpeg
 

FLATHEAD

Rear Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
4,127
Suction cup arrows should do the trick.
Actually hoping to figure out who it is and have a conversation. There is nowhere public to park in the area. Only a handful of homes on the borders and I know them. I’m actually not too worried about it, unless it becomes a habit or I see him hunting.
 

Grub54891

Admiral
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
6,491
Actually hoping to figure out who it is and have a conversation. There is nowhere public to park in the area. Only a handful of homes on the borders and I know them. I’m actually not too worried about it, unless it becomes a habit or I see him hunting.
Check for lost elderly people in the area? lol,
 

WIMUSKY

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
20,550
Looks like he's out for a walk. Could be a neighbors friend/relative? People should realize there's trail cams everywhere. A guy around here just caught someone dumping a carcass in the middle of his property right next to a wood pile... He should be very recognizable, thinking he's from out if town.... Some people just aren't very bright....
 

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,019
I leave my trail cam set up when I park my car and or boat trailer in remote areas , least if someone rips me Ill see who it is and get their rego number
 

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,019
exactly what is a Rego number?
The number plate on a vehicle . The thinking being that all the remote boat ramps I frequent ( lake Monowai and North Mavora lake ) have only one way in or out ....end of the road sorta thing and cars have been broken into ( not mine ) , so I set up the trail cam to cover both my car and the access road ....I usually put it in a tree or bush where youd have to be activly looking for it to see it , Specially if we are overnighting up the lake .
I actually used it last night to bust a frequent burn out and doughnut perp who has a history of turning up at the intersection by my house a 2 am on Saturday morning . last night he showed up , I ring the cops who busted him 20km up the road at Otautau after he left here and with my camera footage the positivly ID"d him and got him for drunk driving ....other charges to follow :D:D:D:D
 
Top