Trail America Tires. Ever heard of them????

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Trail America Tires. Ever heard of them????

Goodyear Marathons are Chinese also unless the rumor that they will resume building them in the US is true. Crappy tire in my opinion. Carlisles are crap too. Maxxis are well worth the money (even if they are Taiwanese..)

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I use TA's, have for years. I have also used Carlisles, Goodyear, and others. They all have one thing in common - they are only as good as the person maintaining them and the trailer they are carrying.

I firmly believe that the difference between the people that can't get good usage from Carlisles and TA's and those that do is how they take care of them.

Running 45lbs instead of the required 50, causes the tires to overheat, which will lead to failure, sometimes in a dramatic way. And on a hot day, at highway speeds it doesn't take long.

If someone loses 3 tires in 150 miles (or was it 2000?) then I would look directly at the operator. 1 tire perhaps might go, but 3- no way. Not if they were correctly inflated, the trailer was correctly leveled, and the weight was within specs.

It's easy to blame the product when the facts can be shaded to protect the user. But the facts are still the facts, and the results of poor operator preparation will result in the same failures no matter what the brand.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

And by the way. I carry 6600 lbs, on 4 TA's, running at 60 psi (suppliers advise) and the tires stay at a constant 128deg. on an 85deg. day at highway speed of 60/65 mph.

Oh yes, my hubs run from 108 to 114deg on the same run.