Trail America Tires. Ever heard of them????

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Gonna be getting a new trailer soon and it will have these tires on them ( Trail America 175 / 80 D 13 (C) ). Anyone ever heard of these?? I haven't and was wondering if I should replace these with something more well known. And if so, what would you recommend? Radial, Bias, Etc. Brand....

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Trail America Tires. Ever heard of them????

Never heard of em Rick, but then again I am not like most on this board........I use Carlisles.

If it were me, and the tires were new, I'd use them. Most issues with tires are from poor maitenance and underinflation........not the brand itself. JMHO

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Pony. I too used Carlisles on all my past trailers with no problems. Just concerned cause I never heard of the new ones....

Scooter#7

Recruit

I purchased a new boat trailer in August 06 with these tires on it. 1 1/2 years later, One of the tires developed a bubble on the inside. I launch my boat only 10 Highway miles away and it's parked on concrete and shaded all the time. These tires have less than 1000 miles. I called the manufacturer and they carry only a one year warranty. I won't be buying anymore of these!

Last edited:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

From what i researched they are made by the same company that makes the Loadmaster and Loadstar tires.
Its Star tire company in China. I have the Load Stars tires on my dual axle boat trailer and my travel Trailer. Keep them at max psi and they should be fine.
About the only US made trailer tires that i can find are Goodyears..They were just too expensive.

Shizzy

Ensign

I agree, keep them aired up and keep an eye on them.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a new trailer last May. I drove from MA to FL/Tampa, picked up the trailer and drove it across to Ft Lauderdale to get my new boat, then back up here to MA, a 1,850 mile trip in all. I have 4 Trail America tires on this trailer;

EmptyTrailer.jpg

And in the past year, I've done at least another 1,500 miles on the tires and as I've kept them at 50 psi and covered when not in use, have not had a single issue with them yet. I'm very happy with the tires so far as they came with the trailer.

criz672000

Recruit

I too have the Trail America's 13 inch tires on my boat.

I got the tires a couple of years ago when I bought my boat new.

One of the tires developed a bubble on the inside, I'm trying to contac the dealer to check on warranty status, but I had to leave a message for the service guys.

Wondering if this 1 yr warranty stuff is true.

I hope not.

I have kept this boat in a tandem garage 24x7 and take the boat to the lake very seldomly.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I've been using "Load Star" brand and they have been good so far, I have 2 boat trailers, a car trailer, and a snowmobile trailer with them and not one failure so far (5+ years). I was leary at first but the price was right and my only other local option was Carlisles which I've had 2 failures with in the past with tread coming off the tire carcass causing tire failure and fender damage.

Crazy Snake

Recruit

Kinda late but, I bought Trail America tires(ST205/75d 14) in August '08.
I bought 3 of them for my single axle trailer. One for spare.
WELLLL, I had a blowout(in Nov.) on one with less than 100 miles.
Put the spare on and noticed last Friday(12-05) a big golfball sized bubble on
the spare with less than 25 miles on it. My boat weighs around 3000 lbs., so I know they are not overloaded and they were properly inflated. The dealer I bought them from online told me to send them back and he would warranty them, but I have to pay shipping both ways. He said it may not be worth it.
I am goin to go ahead and buy goodyears for it.

reelfishin

Captain

I have two trailers with 13" Trail America tires, no problems at all in three years. They were the cheapest rim tire combo I found. Neither trailer has more than a half ton on it. Like most trailer tires, they will most likely rot away before they wear out. The way I saw it, they were better than the cracked, leaking original tires that were on those trailers and there was no way I was spending what they wanted for Goodyear or Carlisle tires.

I found this online as to their warranty:

http://www.iboats.com/mall/info/tires.html

I believe they also are sold under Jetstar tire. They are imported to Washington state by a company called JCA Corp, there is little info on that company other than an address and phone number:
J C A Corp (Jetstar Tire)
917 Valley Ave Nw Ste E,
Puyallup, WA 98371-2528
Contact Phone: (253) 770-7600
It appears that they've been around in some form or another since 1982.

Ketcumreleaseum

Recruit

I bought a new Tracker TX170 in May 2006 from Bass Pro Shops. It came with 12" tires. A few months later, Track Marine sent me a letter indicating that my trailer rating was rerated to a lower capty. In Jan. 07 while in ETx fishing had a cord separation on one tire. When I got home I took it to BPS along with the letter from Tracker Marine. Come to find out, they put the wrong size tires on my trailer at the factory. Anyway, after 4 months, my replacements with rims showed up. This past Sept. while in Okla. fishing, a bubble came up on one of the tires. When I got back home, went by a Tracker dealer to see if they would warranty the tire. They checked and said only had one year warranty. I contacted Bass Pro service, they said they would stand by the tire, ordered me one. Little over a week later, again on a local fishing trip,:mad: had a bubble appear on the OTHER tire. Called BPS again, said they would order me another one. It appears this tire company has about the same problem with their tires as Goodyear had with the Wilderness tires a few years ago. I might have put maybe 2000 miles on those two tires. When these shoot craps, I think I will try a different brand.

av9tor

Recruit

Gonna be getting a new trailer soon and it will have these tires on them ( Trail America 175 / 80 D 13 (C) ). Anyone ever heard of these?? I haven't and was wondering if I should replace these with something more well known. And if so, what would you recommend? Radial, Bias, Etc. Brand....

I purchased these and just have a small lightweight trailer and had a blow out and the trailer was empty. contacted the company in the state of Washington and their number is 253 770 7600. My tire blew out with just 500 miles on it contacted them and waiting on documents to send back. Hope that helps

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a new Tracker TX170 in May 2006 from Bass Pro Shops. It came with 12" tires. A few months later, Track Marine sent me a letter indicating that my trailer rating was rerated to a lower capty. In Jan. 07 while in ETx fishing had a cord separation on one tire. When I got home I took it to BPS along with the letter from Tracker Marine. Come to find out, they put the wrong size tires on my trailer at the factory. Anyway, after 4 months, my replacements with rims showed up. This past Sept. while in Okla. fishing, a bubble came up on one of the tires. When I got back home, went by a Tracker dealer to see if they would warranty the tire. They checked and said only had one year warranty. I contacted Bass Pro service, they said they would stand by the tire, ordered me one. Little over a week later, again on a local fishing trip,:mad: had a bubble appear on the OTHER tire. Called BPS again, said they would order me another one. It appears this tire company has about the same problem with their tires as Goodyear had with the Wilderness tires a few years ago. I might have put maybe 2000 miles on those two tires. When these shoot craps, I think I will try a different brand.

Actually that was Firestone not Goodyear....just don't want anyone to put down goodyear since it was Firestone with the bad Wilderness tires on the Fords SUVs

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

And BTW I have Goodyear Marathoon's on my trailer and they've been GREAT so far I'd love to find a matching spare to mount on the trailer now!!

Doogie

reelfishin

Captain

I made two 500 mile round trips this winter with a pair of 13" Trail America tires on a tracker trailer and had no problems. They've been on there since the trailer was new in 2005 or 2006. I have another pair I got on clearance from the dealer which I just put on my other trailer. All of these were bias ply tires which are dual branded with both Trail America and Tracker in bold white letters on one side. I usually reverse them to hide the white walls when I get them.

muddude2

Recruit

I wouldn't buy anything with Trail America tires - unless you want to have a blow out - I have blown 3 of these tires with less than 2,000 miles on them - and yes the air was right and the trailer was stored inside. There is alot of threads about these tires - Just beware

muddude2

Recruit

Kinda late but, I bought Trail America tires(ST205/75d 14) in August '08.
I bought 3 of them for my single axle trailer. One for spare.
WELLLL, I had a blowout(in Nov.) on one with less than 100 miles.
Put the spare on and noticed last Friday(12-05) a big golfball sized bubble on
the spare with less than 25 miles on it. My boat weighs around 3000 lbs., so I know they are not overloaded and they were properly inflated. The dealer I bought them from online told me to send them back and he would warranty them, but I have to pay shipping both ways. He said it may not be worth it.
I am goin to go ahead and buy goodyears for it.

You are a smart man - get rid of the Trail America tire I had 3 blow out within 150 miles of towing - lots of pain with that

KStoon

Seaman

I'm replacing the tires on my 'toon trailer. They have deep weather cracks. They were on the trailer when I bought the boat. They too are TrailAmerica's. Mine say made by "Hung-A Co Ltd." Sounds like a manly outfit! :)

kaptain ken

Recruit

Got 4 Trail America ST205/75 D14's under my '07 Yamaha SX320. They came with the package new. About 1000 lbs per tire load, rated at 1700 lbs. Had just put 45psi in them. Gage is good. Total milage on them about 500 mi. One hr. into trip at 55 mph the left rear blew. In seconds tire was 3 ugly bands of hot rubber. BAD DAY! Something to think about when looking for tires. I'm woried about the other 3 tires.