trade in value

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
I like to think I know when I'm getting screwed by a dealer for trade in value for a car but how do I know about boats. I have no Blue Book or other resources. I was shocked about how low an offer a dealer gave me on a trade in on a 2 year old 65 hr mint condition OB. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Sell it yourself. If you think car dealers are shady, they’ve got nothing on boat dealers.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You are never going to get anything on a used boat for trade in value, you need to sell it on your own, even NADA undervalues them, which is what most companies use for Boat and RV values.. Boat dealers make their money by buying really low and selling really high.

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe I should just sell it myself I could sell it at a really fair price and still beat what the dealer wants to give me by 30%. Any advice on the best sites to advertise.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe I should just sell it myself I could sell it at a really fair price and still beat what the dealer wants to give me by 30%. Any advice on the best sites to advertise.

Selling outright may take a bit more effort but could save you in the long run. I've sold cars outright before and had my new car dealer handle the paperwork so that I got sales tax credit for the old one. It kind of depends on your state whether that's helpful (7% in Indiana so definately worth it).

I wore out Craigslist looking for my new one so I'd suggest listing there. I used to look through Ebay but I couldn't really control the areas I wanted to see listings from (while I'd love to visit California I wasn't likely to fly out there from Indiana to look at a boat). I see this site also has boats for sale... don't know much about it.

Best of luck!

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Around here, a lot of people are going to that "letgo" app to sell boats. The thing about that app is that if someone looked for a boat a few weeks ago, and you post yours, they get an alert saying "hey, you might want to check this out.." - so it broadens your ad to not just people that will in the future look for a boat, but those that already have too.

briangcc

Commander
There is a marketplace on Faceplant. Haven't used it but it shows up in my feed regularly.

As for trade in value....the dealer I traded my Four Winns to showed me the NADA values and gave me middle value. I thought this was fair as I knew the issues ahead of time and whoever bought it was going to have to sink a decent amount into some service. Had I sold it myself I would have had to deal with tire kickers, low ballers, etc. To me, the little less I got for the trade was worth me keeping my sanity.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
There is a marketplace on Faceplant. Haven't used it but it shows up in my feed regularly.

As for trade in value....the dealer I traded my Four Winns to showed me the NADA values and gave me middle value. I thought this was fair as I knew the issues ahead of time and whoever bought it was going to have to sink a decent amount into some service. Had I sold it myself I would have had to deal with tire kickers, low ballers, etc. To me, the little less I got for the trade was worth me keeping my sanity.

I've had much better luck these days with Marketplace than I do craigslist.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have bought through both FB Marketplace and CL. They are both free so post it in both locations.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Things seem to still be mostly craigslisted in my state where everybody owns a boat due to our over 11,000 lakes. You really see the worst in humanity when selling or buying off of CL however. So many losers it's hard to comprehend that people are how they are and somehow make it through the day. There is some merit to not having to deal with the general public as mentioned above and of course your time is I'm sure worth a lot as well. Only thing worse than buying or selling is the one time we tried to give something away for free.

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
Things seem to still be mostly craigslisted in my state where everybody owns a boat due to our over 11,000 lakes. You really see the worst in humanity when selling or buying off of CL however. So many losers it's hard to comprehend that people are how they are and somehow make it through the day. There is some merit to not having to deal with the general public as mentioned above and of course your time is I'm sure worth a lot as well. Only thing worse than buying or selling is the one time we tried to give something away for free.

You hit the nail on the head, posting on CL is a nightmare. Lock my doors and keep my 9 mm by the bedside table. Never doing that again

jkust

Rear Admiral
You hit the nail on the head, posting on CL is a nightmare. Lock my doors and keep my 9 mm by the bedside table. Never doing that again

We did a major remodel of our primary residence recently and were selling the old kitchen appliances on craigslist but the person that wanted to buy the oven was afraid to come into our neighborhood because he thought the neighbors would call the police. We were just scratching our heads.