Tracker welds?

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tracker welds?

Boy glad I didn't buy a tracker! If you spend that much money on a boat it should be right the first time. Doubling up on the welds isn't going to make it any stronger.

a56legend

Recruit

Thank you everyone for these posts...you saved me from buying a nightmare instead of a dream. I was going to buy a 18 ft varga combo with a 150 verado, beautiful boat but no good if it won't float. I watched a lund video with 60 baseball holes drilled in the hull and you could still drive it around the lake, you would have wet feet thats about it, a tracker would sink. I just about wrote the cheque Friday for the tracker but waited till Monday to research, so glad I did. I called tracker to find out actual warranty. The hull seams are lifetime on the outside of the boat but bracing inside that is all spot welded is only 5 years, what a joke, those braces are part of the hull. Needless to say that structural bracing 5 year warranty fact made my mind up once and for all, Lund it will be. Thanks again.
I have a 2007 pro guide v17, the welds cracked along the keel and it leaked badly. Bad enough the welder my dealer uses would not try to repair it so Tracker picked it up and shipped it back to their factory. After having it for 8 weeks it is repaired and ready to ship back to me here in CA. Talked with the service manager here and he told me when they do see cracked welds with Trackers it is usually the lighter jon boat types and mod v's, he said although he has had deep v trackers come back with cracked welds it was a very small number over time and he sees cracked welds in the other alum brands as well.

Personally I have had too many problems with my particular boat which I bought new and would not buy another Tracker.

nhangler

Cadet

I had some quality issues with my Tracker Targa when I first bought it. However, they were small and the dealer took care of them. I have owned it for 5.5 years now and I REALLY use my boats. It gets very wet and sits on a mooring for 1-2 weeks while on vacation on a bigger lake each year. My boat has seen a lot of 3-6 foot waves and covered a lot of water. NO LEAKS. Welded hull is fine so far. Not disputing those that have had to follow up with warranty work. That sucks and I feel for you guys. Hope I never have to. But keep in mind that Tracker sells a LOT of boats so you will hear about more of them than other brands. BTW, Alumacraft all the way if you are shopping for a quality brand boat. That will be my next rig. Lunds are nice too but not sure I could justify spending double for the size boats I prefer.

solarscar

Recruit

I worked at tracker marine in Lebanon as a welder, but on the pontoon line motor pods and I was a hell of a welder! the guys tigging the pontoons where good as hell too!