Tracker Topper 1232 Flatbottom Jon Boat

Fischer001

Cadet
Alright so Ive decided I want to purchase a Tracker 1232 Flatbottom Jon at my local outdoor shop. I will be using it in fresh water only with a Minn Kota Endura 50LG Thrust trolling motor with 2 deep cycle batterys. The lake I live on does not allow for gas motors, only electric. Does anyone have experience with the 1232. I want to know about stability and I would like to stand and fish if possible. Im 6' 230pounds..I will be mostly be fishing by myslef and sometimes ill fish with one other guy my size..Anyone have this boat that could tell me more about it before I purchase it....thanks:)

chevyredneck

Cadet
Re: Tracker Topper 1232 Flatbottom Jon Boat

that size boat is very tippy im 6ft 3 and 260 and had a 12ft with a 42 inch beam. spend the little more and get a 14 , i have a 1432 it works great me and my friend who is my size can if balanced right can stand on the benches no prob

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

For stability I would get the widest longest jon you can afford and handle.
To get the most out of your trolling motor a big canoe will go about twice as fast as the jon.For speed and more stability than the canoe a good wide utility would be a second choice.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm 5-11, 230# and have a Tracker 1436. It can be a bit tippy, but I'm really laying into it casting 12" striper plugs with a 10' rod. 7' rod fishing for bass, pike trout, no problem. One friend didn't have problems standing, but another was freaked and wouldn't stand up.

I agree about going with the 14' boat, more stable and roomier, especially if you are going to bring another person. You might check on the capacity of the 1232, 2- 230# guys , gear, batteries,,, could be overwieght

A new sportings good store opened up that carries Alumicraft (or was it Alumiweld?) jon boats. I checked out a 1436 and the construction puts my Tracker to shame, ribs go up the sides of the boat, 45* brace to strengthen transom, seats constructed better. The Alumicraft is also rated to 15HP while my Tracker is only 10HP. The kicker, they were the same price $800. Wished the store was here 2 years ago since it looks like a much better boat.

(Edited: I originally said 1432 when it's really a 1436)

Fischer001

Cadet

I went to Gander over the weekend and was talked into the Tracker 1436, alot more stable and the weight capacity is alot greater. I ordered a Minn Kota 50 36" today and plan on getting a boat in a few days. Im still a bit undecided on what boat I will end up with. Im leaning towards the 1436 Tracker for the added stability

fishrdan

Admiral

A Tracker 1436 is what I have (wrong on prior post, edited). Also have a 46# MinnKota trolling motor running off 2- group 31 batteries which is fine for the boat. You're not going to be setting any speed records, but it moves the boat along nicely.

Fischer001

Cadet

Yeah it?s not about speed. The lake I live only calls for electric motors only. I think the Minn Kota 50LB 36" should push the 1436 along with no problems even on a windy day. I think this is the boat I will be getting because I want to be able to stand up and fish. Plus my father of wife may be fishing with me so I want the extra room for 2 people, never more than 2 ppl in the boat at once. I don?t want to put a deck in it or anything. I think if I put 2 large deep cycle batteries one will be in the left rear corner and another in the right rear corner of the boat with the trolling motor in the middle will help stabilize the boat. I?ve never been in one so im going to have to mess around with it too see what works. But I believe the battery idea would help stabilize so when I stand up I won?t feel like the boat will tip. Those darn batteries are heavy too...wow

The lake I live on is about 120 square acres, unknow how deep