toyota tacoma

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need a new car to replace a 1989 jeep cherokee and am thinking of getting a 2000-2004 toyota tacoma prerunner with the 6 cylinder engine. I tow a 1984 Skeeter SS-Fisherman 15 foot bass boat with a 75 merc. I think this rig weighs in with trailer and batteries (3) and gas (12 gal) at around 1600 pounds. Has anyone had experience towing with a V6 tacoma, any problems or quirks with the vehicle? Do I need the towing package and what are the capacities with and without the tow package? And also is it necessary to get 4 wheel drive or would I probably be ok without it?

Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated!8)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: toyota tacoma

you should not have any problems, as far a 4 wheel drive, you only know that, it depends on the ramps you use. are the all nice concrete, or are some of the off the beaten path,, gravel or even dirt. here in the deep south some guys don't even use a ramp. just tow the boat in with the mud jumpers and back it in the water.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

get 4 wheel drive. it not only benifits on the ramp, but its also very nice whenever you need it...especially in states that have snow. Not to mention it helps in resale of the vehicle A LOT...

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help everyone, it looks like I may try to get a 4WD Tacoma if I can find one for a good price. But one more question, is there any benefit to having a rear locking diff if you only have 2WD? The prerunner comes with a locker if it has the TRD off road package.

Happy boating to all.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my nephew had that and it was'nt worth a dam. really disappointing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have to disagree with Tash on the locking diff. Without it the best you have is one-wheel drive unless both wheels have equal traction. If one spins you are done. My tow vehicles (2 and 4WD) are specified with lockers. Even with 4WD the best you have is 2WD without a locker. One front wheel and one back wheel will spin. With a locker you are guaranteed three wheel drive. With a 2WD rig and a locker you definitely have 2WD. I've seen 4WD trucks unable to move on a flat-as-a-pancake parking lot covered with ice. One front wheel and one back wheel spinning. Add a locker and the problem goes away. Its more beneficial on a 2WD rig than a 4WD but in my view a necessity on both. And its cheap insurance.

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with 4 wheel drive and the "TRD" off road package which includes the locking rear diff. In the 4 wheel drive model, you have to been in 4 low before you can engage the diff-lock. I added a Draw-Tite hitch and added an electric brake controller for my 16' landscaping trailer.

I pull my landscape trailer hauling occaisonally my New Holland 24hp tractor that has a front-end loader and a backhoe. The tractor and trailer weighs in close to 5000lbs. The truck pulls it fine, even on the highway. So, there is definately no problems pulling the 19' 4-Winns boat which is around 2-2200lbs.

We bought this truck brand new and it now has around 54,000 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance, we have had zero problems. Get the 4 wheel drive if you can, as these little trucks are real light in the rear. Also I would'nt reccomend towing with the bumper, get a hitch and the V6 motor. We also have a 04 Tundra that is real nice for towing as well, again zero problems! Good luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Locking differentials are available in several varieties. Most are called limited slip, but mine are auto lockers.

PlayDoh

Seaman Apprentice

I got a 96 Tacoma, I broke the leaf springs by overloading the factory springs. I put some new ones in with an extra leaf so I can get quite a bit more then the already good 300lbs tongue max. I loaded 1500lbs the other day, and I coulda pulled the boat behind me with the load. I got a wee boat mind you.

I was going to get a newer Tacoma, but the new ones are 4 door and only available with an Auto tranny. Not for me. I have 155 000 Miles and all I've had to do is change the oil. I've pulled an 18' 1969 holiday trailer which is heavy as hell, with no problem.

Without question locking diff is a benefit. I had a friend with a Chevy 1/2 ton who thought cause his truck could eat its way up a steep hill/cliff @ 4000 RPM he was cool. He laughed when I told him I could climb it easily, so I climbed up it backwards and stopped half way. They thought I stalled, until I crawled up it again. I lmao.

Tacoma's are Billy-goats with locking diffs. Make sure you get used to how light they are before you hit the hairy trails, I almost tipped it twice. Lol I stopped in a ditch once, which was steep as hell, when I drove away I went on 2 wheels and had no choice but to keep going till the next embankment 20 yards away. Involuntary stunt driving is not fun. :%

Take a look at the local dealership for used Tacoma's, then take a trip to the scrap yard and see how many are there. I paid $24k for mine (99) and I could sell it in 2 days for $15k. My friend got a 01 Chevy, bare-bones and its worth around the same, and theres a ton used for sale.

I cant brag about my Tacoma enough. BTW I tow with my bumper which is fine for my 14' boat, but the 18' trailer's rear bumper is barely off the ground. lol. I recommend a hidden hitch.