toyota tacoma 4 cylinder

turfguy1969

Cadet
I have a 2005 toyota tacoma with a towing package that says it is rated for 8500 pounds towing weight. I am looking into getting a 24 foot chaparral that would be about 6500 pounds dry weight. The problem I have is that it is a 4 cylinder manual tranny with 4x4. Will this truck pull that size boat out of the water? I don't have a far drive, but getting it up the ramp is my concern. Any help would be great.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: toyota tacoma 4 cylinder

I don't believe that a Tacoma 4X4, 5 speed with the 2.4 engine is rated for 8500#, even in low range. That load would push that truck all over the road.

Please verify this with a dealer. I would expect nothing over, say, 3,000#.

That said, there is no way I would tow 6500# to the end of my driveway with that truck.

I had a Toyota SR5 2.4 2X4 5 speed from around 1983 that couldn't control my 1700# Boston Whaler. I know the Tacoma is a bigger truck, but not that much bigger.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, your tow rating is not 8500 lbs, maybe 3500 lbs. That is what it is for my 1994 4 cylinder Toyota 4WD Extra Cab. I'm not certain what my 17.5 ft bowrider weighs, other than it is less than 3k because of the lack of brakes on the trailer. At any rate, the truck handles the weight fine. However, I wouldn't want to try anything much larger.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Even the Tundra would be taking pretty deep breathes at that weight. I think maybe you were looking at the GCW (gross combined weight) which is the weight of the truck and trailer (4500 for the truck and 3500 for the trailer = 8000 as a guesstimate).

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont even think about it!! i have an 06 tacoma 4 cyl 5speed and i towed my 20' bowrider down the road with only myself in the truck and nothing in the boat and it was all it wanted... it pulled ok at speed, but if i had to start out at a red light with a slight uphill grade, is was all i could do to get it rollin... after that experience, i would NEVER attempt to try and pull the boat out of the water... it might do it in low range, but i dont want to be "that guy" at the ramp... 24' is definately out of the question....

ps. the receiver hitch might be rated to pull that much weight, but not the truck. the hitch will only pull that if its hooked to an F-250!:)

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree...you have to be looking at the gross combined vehicle weight or some sticker on your aftermarket receiver hitch. Tacos are good trucks but...

Look at your inside driver door stickers & owner's manual to tell you how to interpret all the numbers and ackronyms.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat will tow your truck just fine. :p

I would'nt try towing that boat with the truck though, nowhere near enough torque, horse power or weight to do the job.

CRDLIBERTY

Cadet

Ive owned several 4x4 v6 trucks nissan and tacoma. First off the toyota has the softest suspenison around to soft even just driving around like grandma. You need some spring helpers maybe a 1 inch lift and stiffer shocks. You better just forget a 24ft large fiberglass boat! If you want a nice little boat go Starcraft Alum fishmaster series or super fisherman 196 thats about all your truck is happy with. That boat your looking at would be happy behind new dodge 2500 turbo diesel.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Just got back from delivering a Ferguson TEA20 farm tractor on a car hauler to my parents' place behind my buddy's 2007 Tacoma crew cab. No towing package but it did have the V6 with automatic. Tractor and trailer would be a good 5000 pounds plus all up.

Towed it marvelously 300 km even through one helluva rainstorm and high winds. Didn't break any acceleration records but when at speed it towed straight and true with no issues and stopped just fine. Even more surprising was the fuel hit wasn't nearly as bad as I expected versus no trailer. Not exactly an apples to apples comparo but I'd buy that truck in a minute on the strength of that one ride.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

That 2007 Tacoma is being built on the older (01-06) Tundra chassis and that 4.0 v6 is capable, putting out about 240 hp and 270 lb torque.

This setup is nowhere near what turfguy is using, plus his 4 banger is loaded down with 4wd, however that particular rig is rated at 6500 and that 4 banger makes 165 hp.

rndn

Commander

My brothers 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder, manual transmission, 4x4, with the towing package was rated to tow 3500#. It could not even tow his 2500# boat very well. He always needed to shift it into low inorder to get up even the slightest incline and it would not tow his boat in 5th gear at 65mph on a flat smooth road. He only kept it for 13 months and dumped it for a 6 cylinder model.
My 2007 Toyota Tacoma V-6 Auto, 4x4, extended cab, with the towing package is rated for 6500#. I tow the boat in my signature and it works great. I just went up through the Adirondacks towing the boat and had zero issues going up and down the mountains.
I also find it very hard to believe your 4 banger is rated for 8500#. Maybe gross vehicle weight or something like that.

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

07,towing package, V6 OM says 6500 tow limit.

Ready for the lake about 5000pnds. I wouldnt want anymore back there.

pictures018.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I haven't had a Tacoma in about 5 years but at that point I believe the 4X4 had a 2.7 4 cylinder rated at 150 hp Probably more now but still not going to do what amounts to about 8,000.What does the truck weigh 3,600 lbs?
If it has low range it could certainly haul the boat out as long as it has enough traction.I sure wouldn't want to go down the road with it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wow! 5K on a single axle trailer being pulled by a Toyota Tacoma! Hope you never have a blow out on that trailer. At least I hope you have trailer brakes on that. That a 14" tire on there?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

The following is from Edmunds on the 2005 Tacoma...

"A properly equipped V6 Tacoma can tow up to 6,500 pounds, a 30-percent increase over the 2004 model's towing capacity."

Another site posted that the 4 cyl could tow 6500. Must have been wrong, especially since tysonnathan has experience with the same truck.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2003 3.4 V6 Tacoma 4x4 auto, and towing my aluminum boat (on a dual axle trailer with brakes) even I am at the trucks limit at 3500 Ilbs. I have no problems except on steep hills when it downshifts to 2nd and 40mph . I wouldn't even try towing something heavier.

8500Ilbs seems way too much expecially for a 4 banger.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

reelfishin

Captain

I have to agree, about 3500lbs would be the max and at that, I'm not sure it would like pulling up a ramp.

It reminds me of a time when I volunteered to help a buddy move. He asked me to drive his pickup and trailer since I was the only one helping that regularly towed a trailer. He had a mid 80's 4x4 Toyota SR5 pickup and had a 7,000 lb GVW tandem axle car trailer on it with his 1970 Z28 and assorted other items strapped on anywhere he could find space. I'd have guess the trailer and load were in the 6,800 lb range. The truck was also loaded with various other items. He had it hitched with a load equalizing hitch and the motor was a 2.2L injected 4 banger with a 5 speed trans.
He owned a larger pickup but that was hitched to a larger enclose trailer with everything else he owned in it. What didn't fit on the two trailers was distributed among several volunteer's trucks and a minivan.
The drive was only about 90 miles, and it did the job, but getting rolling and stopping had to be done cautiously. It was OK once I got it up to highway speeds, it moved along fine once it got rolling but stops had to be well thought out and planned for ahead. It took 4x4 low to get it up his driveway though which was a pretty serious incline and gravel road.
There's no way I'd have tried to launch a boat at anywhere near that weight with that truck. I was most surprised that the rear axle and transmission stood up to that drive. I was waiting any minute the whole way for something to explode and the truck to come skidding to a stop. The worst I had ever seen him do was to fill the bed with crushed stone about a foot over the bed rails or more with plywood sides, it put that truck down about 8" in the rear. He did eventually blow out the tailgate, it bowed out to the point that the latches tore away and the gate flopped open with about a ton of rock in the bed.

I did own a 1988 4x4 Toyota truck myself and regularly pulled and launched a 17' aluminum bass boat but that was probably it's safe limit on the ramp.
I had bought that truck after seeing how much my buddies truck would haul, but mine turned out to be a real lemon, it all but fell apart within a year.