Toyota OBD-1 Trouble Code 55 on a 1993 3vzFE V6 (Camry)

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The CEL light comes on intermittently and when I jump the T1 and TE1 terminals on the OBD-1 plug the CEL light blinks 5 times. a short pause then another 5 times....followed by a longer pause after which the pattern repeats.

Thus; the code is 55?

Going here http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/ there is no #55 listed.

(1) Can anyone tell me the significance of a code 55?

Thanks, Chuck

Autotech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Toyota OBD-1 Trouble Code 55 on a 1993 3vzFE V6 (Camry)

Shop Keys shows Code 55 as open or short circuit in the knock sensor signal
Hope this helps.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

From the internet, take it for what it's worth:
"The code 55 you are getting, in Toyota terms, as as follows:
"No number one knock sensor signal to the ECU for four crank revolutions under these 2 conditions: Coolant temperature 140 degrees F or more; Engine speed between 1600 and 5200 RPM."

This indicates a failed (or a loose) knock sensor on the Right Bank of the engine. Since the knock sensor is basically a piezo-electric crystal, no continuity test can be performed with the intake manifold installed.

You can check the continuity form the Knock Sensor wires to the ECM, but, this may not prove useful to you.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to pull the intake, and check the knock sensor wiring integrity. If the connector is good, and the sensor is tight, I would suggest replacing the sensor. Actually, if you were in my shop, I would suggest replacing them both, as the whole intake will have to come off if the other sensor fails. Better to replace them both at once, than to pull the intake again."
<and>
"The 55 trouble code is for knock sensor malfunction on the right bank of the engine which would be the one near the firewall, there are two sensors one for each cylinder bank, were any of them replaced if not I would recommend replacing them both along with the wire sub-harness while the intake manifold is off. "

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys....

I found the full service manual for the engine online (finally) . It confirms the Knock Sensor diagnosis and goes on to inform me that once that code is activated; it pulls the timing back to full-retardation. That's not what I was hoping. I had hoped that the timing would stay fully adjustable...and as long as there was no audible knocking I could go ahead and drive it that way for a while.

Not so; full retard will no doubt affect mileage and power output; although the car still seems to run fine.

Chuck