toyota info wanted

ebbtide176

Commander
my 93 2.4L pickup has an ongoing problem. and i thought i would ask here, before anywhere else. since about 200k it has a starting problem. i don't mean a cranking problem, it is hard to get to fire up when hot or warm. it turns over fine. no charging problems, the battery, alternator and starter are doing ok. it fires up great when cold or first thing in the morning. and i've found if i turn the key on, and wait about 15secs it fires up most everytime. but i used to jump in and crank it. i feel like its fuel related or fuel pressure, but didn't see any tips in the manual. anyone had this problem? its fuel-injected 2.4L 4cyl 22R-E. it has oh, not sure - maybe 250k, timing chain at 225k, regular oil & filter changes at 5k, air filters every year, NGK plugs every year, injector cleaner bottle twice a year... is it dirty injectors or a fuel related sensor? <br />oh yeah, when it does take forever to fire up, i have to floor the pedal til it starts, and as soon as i let off, it idles lower than normal- until its warmed up. i just don't want to swap parts - sensors are too expensive. i did have to replace the Oxy sensor on the exhaust once. the exhaust system is quiet and sounds fine also. very quiet engine. its my bud, gets me anywhere and cheaply too.<br /><br />part 2: <br /><br />yo 12footer! <br />- do you need a rear bumper? i got a universal type black step bumper. it was dropped off at a relative's friends junkyard, but after knowing what he paid and seeing what he's asking for the car my niece wants to buy(1st car), i'm thinking i'd rather give it away than let him make $$$ (and give me notta) for it. its brand new. for small trucks like rangers, toys, etc... (well not give away, you gotta pay shippin) don't mark it in blood til i get it back. just that i saw a jpeg of your toy truck. (didn't schematic wrench for toys awhile? i might get lucky ;) )

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: toyota info wanted

Hot/warm starts require residual fuel pressure in the injection system. If the injectors drain after shutdown or if the check valve in the pump/regulator allow a draining of that residual pressure, a hard start will occur. Without residual pressure, classic vapor lock occurs, as well as time for operating pressure to build.<br />If the injectors are the source of the bleed off the additional opposite symptom of flooding,carbon saturation and wash down occur.<br /><br />However, do a valve adjustment first. Ninety percent of all fuel injection problems are tune up problems.<br />And don't kid yourself, as awesome as your "Bud" is, has been, and will be.........he's tired.

D

DJ

ebb,<br /><br />Does it idle rough once it starts?<br /><br />If so, remove the throttle body and clean the ports where the idle solonoid is attached to the throttle body.<br /><br />Also, make sure the throttle butterfly is not sticking closed. This happens as throttle cables become worn and stretched.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Call toyota and ask if your truck is equipped with a TPS (Throttle position sensor). There are non-cumputer ways to check that sensor.<br /><br />Bob

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

All those will cause the symptom.And it DOES have a TPS in the intake from the air filter,as BobVT stated.<br />Only want to add the filter canister. They can gather water from the tank.Your tank has a drain plug (yes,a real drain plug),and I would bleed-off the bottom gallon, or wait until it is just about out of fuel, and drain/clean the tank.<br />Fuel pumps can be finicky on these.I never had a problem,but a 22RE at werk had one fail,and it still ran (like yours, but it ran).<br /><br />A new O2 sensor is cheap, and can throw what the puter sees waaaay outta whack.<br />No thanks on the part. I no longer have her,insurance company took it <snif>...It was an awesome little truck!
truk4.jpg

clanton

Rear Admiral

What about changing the fuel filter, your post did not indicate that it was changed, check wire connections to fuel pump

does it try to run on after you shut it off?<br />I had one and when you shut off the key it sounded like it was trying to run on just a little, which turned out to be a pinhole leak in the o-ring seal inside the injector. If it didn't burn off right away it was hard to start almost like it had flooded.

ebbtide176

Commander

just got back here. thanks for all the info.<br /><br />-i will have to check the valves. they were supposed to have been adjstd when the head was re-installed after getting new timing chain... but i haven't checked them.<br />-fuel pump problem, check valve not working. hmm, that sounds like it might be the culprit. <br />-i doesn't idle rough, well, it idle really low when the symptoms appears, but barely incr throttle smoothes it out.<br />-ports at idle solenoid- i'll hafta check on that one. i did the sticking butterfly fix already. it doesn't stick anymore. and that was only after sitting for a long time hot or cold weather.<br />it just needed carb spray inside at the hinge points.<br />-haven't tried the tank drain or fuel cannister yet either. this thing didn't take the $40 Oxy sensor, it was the 3wire $140 one. <br />-need to find tests for TPS <br />-i also replaced the fuel filter<br />-it doesn't do the 'dieseling'<br /><br />I've got some good things to check for now - tthanx! now if i can get time to do it all.

petryshyn

Commander

ebb<br /><br />The problem you are having is from a sticking fast idle air bypass valve. The valve has 2 hoses going to it approx. 1/2" OD. These hoses go to the throttle body. Remove these hoses and spray the valve from both ports with carb cleaner. The valve has a black plastic cap held on with 4 screws. If the carb cleaner doesn't help, get back to us and we'll tell you how to service and adjust the internal components.<br /><br />The TPS and O2 sensor will not affect starting on this vehicle. The idle is not computer controlled.<br /> :)