Towing Sedan with Sportage

I've read on some websites that a Sportage can tow upto 3000 lbs

The manufacturer's site for North America says 2000lb capacity.

I want to tow my Nissan Sentra 2002 SE-R (not the Spec V).

Can I do this> Would I need a special hitch?

I haven't bought the vehicle yet but I'd like to get the right info before I do.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Towing Sedan with Sportage

Several questions arise since and since this is a boating forum, you are in the wrong place. But, the first question that must be answered is whether or not the Nissan has a stick or automatic transmission. If it's an automatic, are you certain it can be towed without the engine running. Then there is the issue of the tow bar attachment to the Nissan. If you use a tow dolly, none of this is an issue.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NO, NO, no,no,no. !!

If you want to tow anything over about 1500# you need a bigger truck, one rated to tow about 5,000# without trailer brakes.

I have a v6 with 4x4.

Kia's site says 2000lbs. Why are you suggesting 1500?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would strongly recomend against it. The Sportage has only a 2.7 liter engine. That is just not enough guts. If you are talking about buying the Sportage, you might consider the Sorento with the 3.8L engine. The Sorento is a Front engine - rear drive with 4 wheel drive. It is a real truck style design rated for 5000 pounds with trailer brakes but just 1650 without. The 3.3L version is rated for 3500 pounds with brakes and still 1650 without.

The Sportage might work for the boat, depending on its size.

TerryMSU

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd recommend against it too, even if you might be able to squeak under the limit (remember the trailer has weight too.)

Even if you are under the limit, a smallish SUV is really going to struggle to move that kind of weight, heck, even my Bronco with 351 V8 has a hard time cruising at 55 with only 2500lbs of boat and trailer behind it, despite its much higher tow rating.

Also consider how far you're planning on towing, if it's just around town it wouldn't be to bad, but if you're going long distance, it's a different story.

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm just about to buy a kia sorento, being in europe it's diesel but look how the figures differ

2.5 diesel 140hp

tow rating braked 6600lbs

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a v6 with 4x4.

Kia's site says 2000lbs. Why are you suggesting 1500?

Engineer's conservatism. Never tax anything to its rated limit.

More important, most of us are novices driving a tow vehicle. By staying at 70% or less of rated capacity we give ourselves an added safety margin.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Tow ratings by vehicle manufacturers are generally optimistic which makes these loads a safety issue. Remember, being able to pull something means you must also be able to stop it. So the weight of the car you will tow must be added to the weight of the tow dolly as well as anything you put into the vehicle. 75% of the vehicles tow rating allows a fair safety factor. 3000# load vs a 2000# tow rating is a recipe for disaster and towing slower is no help as you now become a rolling road block.