Towing Boston Whaler 130 with Honda CRV

WaterGlider77

Recruit
Hi,

I have a Subaru Crosstrek 2019 and Honda CRV 2014. Both have towing capacity of 1500 lbs.

BW-130 Weight of boat with motor and full gas + Trailer = 1300. I know adding tongue weight of 20% is putting it over the limit. However, I have read forums where it was fine to tow with such a vehicle.

Could I tow a Boston Whaler with these SUV at least for short distances ?
For longer trips; maybe renting a vehicle would be prudent I think. Thoughts ?

WaterGlider77

Recruit
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, planning to add some brakes on the trailer as well.
What about when pulling the car out of water when the ramp has a gradient?

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
What about when pulling the car out of water when the ramp has a gradient?
I assume the CRV has AWD? Just take it easy and think ahead, either vehicle will do the job.
Towing longer distances- fine if your not in hill country. Just do as above.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Don't add weight to get the needed tongue weight, instead, adjust the boat position further forward, or move the axle rearward to get the proper tongue weight. Unless your going cross country you will be fine with your CRV. We have owned a few over the years, great vehicles and will easily handle the 1500 lb rating.

WaterGlider77

Recruit
Don't add weight to get the needed tongue weight, instead, adjust the boat position further forward, or move the axle rearward to get the proper tongue weight. Unless your going cross country you will be fine with your CRV. We have owned a few over the years, great vehicles and will easily handle the 1500 lb rating.
How would I know what my torque weight is? I read that the tongue weight can be about 10-20% of the total weight which is about 1300lbs. No cross country, mostly on flat roads in Michigan. I was thinking for long distance towing to rent a vehicle.

Alumarine

Captain
How would I know what my torque weight is? I read that the tongue weight can be about 10-20% of the total weight which is about 1300lbs. No cross country, mostly on flat roads in Michigan. I was thinking for long distance towing to rent a vehicle.
For that kind of weight you could use a bathroom scale.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Recommended tongue weight for a boat trailer is 7-10%

Use a bathroom scale to measure. Move the boat forward or backwards on the trailer to obtain the proper tongue weight.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hi,

I have a Subaru Crosstrek 2019 and Honda CRV 2014. Both have towing capacity of 1500 lbs.

BW-130 Weight of boat with motor and full gas + Trailer = 1300. I know adding tongue weight of 20% is putting it over the limit. However, I have read forums where it was fine to tow with such a vehicle.

Could I tow a Boston Whaler with these SUV at least for short distances ?
For longer trips; maybe renting a vehicle would be prudent I think. Thoughts ?
I think you will no issue with either.

Use your head when towing in terms of speed and following distance and make sure you have the boat situated on the trailer for 7-10% tongue weight. I doubt you need to add brakes. Most states require this for trailers over 3 k you are way below that.

How often will you tow longer distances?

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Minimum recommended tongue weight is 10 % of trailer & boat weights added together. The 10 % or greater is known to prevent a sudden whipping side to side or if the boat bow starts to rise. Causing a lifting up of the boat and trailer. 10 % or greater.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
With a boat, greater than 10% is not necessary. Maybe if you''re pulling a heavy utility trailer or travel trailer, but 7%-10% is fine for a boat.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well GMC.com has a section devoted to trailer tongue weights. Also what can happen if you go lighter. I Know trailer companies go with 10% to 15 %

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
OK.......so do I go by GM's recommendation or the recommendation of the manufacturer of my boat trailer?

Per (Loadrite) manual

I. PROPER TOW BALL HEIGHT
Tow ball centerline height should be set between 18” to 21” from the ground for level towing

IV. TONGUE WEIGHT
All trailers 2,000 lbs. and under, the tongue weight should equal 7% to 10% of the actual gross weight (GVWR).

• All galvanized trailers over 2,000 lbs., the tongue weight should equal 10% to 12% of the actual gross weight (GVWR).

• All aluminum trailers over 2,000 lbs., the tongue weight should equal 7% of the actual gross weight (GVWR).

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I never heard of the variable % of tongue based on a trailer construction. I do Know what happens when a very light 1974 Honda Civic lightweight has a 20' Loadrite trailer with. A Lowe Aluminum 16' fishboat and 30 hp motor. Aluminum trailer crammed full of goods for 1 week renatal for 3 adults.

I drove 300 miles with wife and daughter. I learned that 45 to 50 mph was the maximum speed as a tractor blew by at 70 mph. SWAY ?? How about 1/2 of a lane. Boat & trailer were 1200 # +-. I moved the boat forward on the trailer until I could barely lift the trailer onto the hitch. Coming back we were much more stabile at 65 mph with the tractors blowing by.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I never heard of the variable % of tongue based on a trailer construction. I do Know what happens when a very light 1974 Honda Civic lightweight has a 20' Loadrite trailer with. A Lowe Aluminum 16' fishboat and 30 hp motor. Aluminum trailer crammed full of goods for 1 week renatal for 3 adults.

I drove 300 miles with wife and daughter. I learned that 45 to 50 mph was the maximum speed as a tractor blew by at 70 mph. SWAY ?? How about 1/2 of a lane. Boat & trailer were 1200 # +-. I moved the boat forward on the trailer until I could barely lift the trailer onto the hitch. Coming back we were much more stabile at 65 mph with the tractors blowing by.
Mrs. Dingbat was driving a 1200cc 74 Civic hatchback when we met. Struggled with bicycle rack. Couldn’t imagine pulling a trailer with it…..lol

Pulling a boat and a horse trailer. Both trailers weight about the same with a single horse in the trailer. Because of the frontal surface area, the horse trailer pulls a lot “heavier” than the boat. The truck pulls it nicely, but not to the point that you forget its back there like the boat trailer.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The frontal and side areas of a travel trailer/horse trailer/utility trailer are very different that of boats, which is why those kinds of trailers require more tongue weight.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Civic is not rated to tow period. My wife has owned three over the years starting back in 1996 until 2015, non were rated to tow. My grandson has a 2022 civic, still no tow rating. Glad you didn't have an accident, you would have been at fault no matter what !!

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Then my lawyer would be going after the Loadrite dealer who installed it with no warning in N J.
Civic is not rated to tow period. My wife has owned three over the years starting back in 1996 until 2015, non were rated to tow. My grandson has a 2022 civic, still no tow rating. Glad you didn't have an accident, yo
Civic is not rated to tow period. My wife has owned three over the years starting back in 1996 until 2015, non were rated to tow. My grandson has a 2022 civic, still no tow rating. Glad you didn't have an accident, you would have been at fault no matter what !!

u would have been at fault no matter what !!