Towing a Zodiac?

az45

Cadet
I?m a new Zodiac owner (97 Mach 1/15hp Johnson) and was wondering if there are any issues with or tips for towing a Zodiac behind a power boat.

We?re going to Lake Powell for a week and would rather tow it than run it 30 miles to camp. There?s a obvious spot on the bow to tow from, but also 2 rings on either side that look like they?d work too.

Thanks!

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Towing a Zodiac?

I've used a bridle like this, or made one up to tow the inflatable. Attaching some type of tubing helps to prevent any line rub, or chafing from the tow rope to the underside of the inflatable. This bridle uses flat nylon which is a little more forgiving. Underway you can find a sweet spot (usually) where the inflatable glides along nicely.

http://shop.inflatableboatparts.com/product.php?productid=292

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1 what CapeAnn said. One thing to note - you loop your tow line from your port/starboard cleats through the ring on the front of the bridle creating an "x" pattern so the dinghy can sway with boat turns - do not just tie a knot directly to it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

...And pivot your engine completely; leg out of water, no passengers, secure gear, tank inside deck.

happy Boating

az45

Cadet

Thanks everybody!

All good information as usual from this forum.

Jeff

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely use a bridle. They are super easy to make out of 1/2" line. I use a locking carabiner for anchoring, and so far have never towed the boat. Our boat needs to be there when we return from diving so two tie off points to the boat are critical.

What kind of boat do you plan to tow it with? Houseboats are a tricky game. I am very familiar with towing multiple comp boats at once. We used different line lengths, turned the steering wheels and locked them in place, all to keep the boats from running into each other. If you are only towing one boat it is not a big deal. If towing more than one boat, you will probably need to leave the outboard down and use it to guide the boat along. Make darn sure whomever is driving the boat remembers your boat is back there.

attachment.php

az45

Cadet

Thanks for the pic Peter, that looks like something I can out together with supplies I have. I'm towing with a 22ft Chaparral, so it should be easy to manage.

Thanks

lineofsight

Cadet

See if there are eyelets or something to attach to on the transom - much more solid to tow from than glued on patches on the bow. Run rope from transom under tubes to bow rings and then bridle as shown. Keep keel side down & good luck.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

See if there are eyelets or something to attach to on the transom - much more solid to tow from than glued on patches on the bow. Run rope from transom under tubes to bow rings and then bridle as shown. Keep keel side down & good luck.
Did you just make that up?

Those glued on rings are put there as "tow bridle" rings.

lineofsight

Cadet

Did you just make that up?

Those glued on rings are put there as "tow bridle" rings.

Correct, they are glued on which means that the amount of stress they can handle is limited - if you put a tow harness on your inflatable for a towable, would you glue rings onto your tubes or attach it your transom?

From your post it seems you have never towed your inflatable
...I use a locking carabiner for anchoring, and so far have never towed the boat...
Should you tow it in the future, if you connect the tow rings with a line and run it through a eye in the tow line then load will balance more easily between the rings than no tow line and running it through the lifting handle.

Transom is more durable to tow from than towing rings. Some manuals will show you a diagram for towing with four lines (two from the transom and two from the tow rings), some manuals will show you a diagram with two from the transom routed through the tow rings, and some manuals will show a bridle connected to the towing rings. Matter of matching method and conditions (i.e. weight of potential motor, tank, gear and water conditions).

Thanks for `inflating' my ego by suggesting I made it up but others have already authored it (see book & internet links below - probably better examples but did not want take more than 30 seconds to provide examples as you evidentially spend less time than that). I initially received this suggestion from the local SIB & RIB manufacturer down the road (and then asked the authorized factory repair centre further down the road since if I break it they are likely the ones to fix it - can send a PM to me for their tel numbers)

Book

Internet

adv-towing3.gif

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay I can understand towing from the stern on a RIB, but not so much a SIB. Logic tells me running a rope/strap over almost a 90 degree piece of wood covered in fabric will cause abrasion. Using four points of contact, with the front as a primary and the stern as a secondary would make sense though.

We always towed the dingy behind the sailboat off the tow bridles, and only for short distances. Otherwise the dingy was brought on deck for longer cruises. Some of the smaller sailboats boats always towed their dingys, but they probably did not have had a self inflating life raft either.

West Marine who rebrands boats and sells them also sells this over priced tow bridle.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50602&classNum=50609#.UABKjsWjJ8M

My current bridle is not used for towing and would only be used in case of a breakdown. Since my fear is what you stated, one of the d-rings pulling loose, I use a centered knot in the front with the carabiner which gives redundancy. I found running it through the handle to be the most accessible for recovery of the line, and also the boat seems to ride the swells a little better keeping the bow down. Not as much up down action. Towing it might be another story.

It is different when you are towing a water skier etc. from the stern since the forces working against each other (skier/motor) are attached to the same bock of wood/fiberglass.

The best one I saw was someone had their tow bridle hooked to the transom, but to where you are supposed to clip the motor too. The pull was on wood screws and straight, so not very strong. Plus that is just cast aluminum.

lineofsight

Cadet

As per OP, figured 15 year old boat (glue) and 30 mile tow distance (that size body of water could have some wave action) some caution good.

If calm water, short distance, low speed would just go with tow rings too - unlikely to pull off and if it does under those circumstances not a big deal, consequences more likely to be manageable.

Do like the float on the bridle you posted but dont like it $75 worth... wow.

That knot on the beaner good idea in terms of retaining the line to other D ring. If have line between D rings running through eye then depending on whether or not D ring fits through eye then will also be retained. Worry though that if one ring lets go then remaining ring receives (shock) load of the other one - but if calm & slow less likely to happen and less likely to be significant consequence.

Seen screws with eyes on both sides of transom for same purpose - tow forward (or safety chain to motor if no secondary transom bolts).

Happy boating.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seen screws with eyes on both sides of transom for same purpose - tow forward (or safety chain to motor if no secondary transom bolts).

Happy boating.
From what I have seen around here most folks have eyes on both sides of the transom for the same reason I do...hoisting the boat. I have u-bolts bolted from the inside of the transom with an eye on the back. That is my rear connection point to hoist, and like Saturday when I want to wakeboard I connect the rope to the outside eyes. The outside eyes could be used to tie the boat to the trailer too, although I just use my launching wheel mounts.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

This one is for towing other inflatables, skiers, etc. Just place 2 heavy duty D'rings at back transom.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Towing U rings.JPG
    Towing U rings.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 0