Towing a Chaparral 23 H2o Sport boat with a 4Runner that has a 5,000 pound tow rating

AR1978

Recruit
Hi,

New to boating and am looking at a 2019 Chaparral 23 H2o Sport. I currently have a 4Runner with a 5,000 pound tow rating. Just wondering if I would be under that with this boat or if I am missing something. Came out with 4980 pounds weight on trailer.

Dry Weight w/ Engine: 3600 pounds
Fuel (45 gallons): 280 pounds
Trailer Weight: 1100 pounds

Weight on Trailer: 4980 pounds

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think you'll be over, boats always weigh more than the "dry" weight. My little 20' Four Winns that was supposed to weigh just under 3,000 lbs with a trailer that weighs 850, turned out to weigh 5050 lbs on the trailer. So that boat is around 4200 lbs. I used to tow it with my old '98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 that was also rated for 5,000 lbs, it did it but struggled with it. The '07 Grand Cherokee 5.7 I tow it with now, rated at 7200 lbs, tows it much easier.
Now did Toyota engineer these with a greater safety margin, maybe. For sure, you want brakes that work on ALL 4 WHEELS of that trailer. That weight will push you right through stop signs and red lights. Do not listen to fools who say trailer brakes are unnecessary!
Your better options for tow vehicles:
Grand Cherokee/Durango V8
Toyota Sequoia
GMC/Chevrolet Tahoe
Full Size half ton pick up with V8 power
I think later model Toyota Tacomas were rated at about 6200 that might cut it, it would really be best to get it weighed.

briangcc

Commander
You didn't list batteries, safety gear, anchors, toys, trailer spare tire, whatnot. You're over your tow limit.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I too think you'll be over. Also, check the manual but mist tow ratings assume an empty tow vehicle. And passenger and cargo weight subtracts from the tow rating.

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You'll have that uneasy feeling when towing that close to limit.

I occasionally tow my 22 ft that weighs out close to max tow capacity of my 2012 Chevy Silverado short bed w/V-6. While it does an admirable job its still is huffing and puffing up grades and definitely not the best truck for the job.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dry weight is also without any fluids such as oil, fuel, etc, and options such as bimini top, etc. add all the other things up from post #3 and actually weighing the boat on a trailer and you will find you are much closer to #6k

tpenfield

Staff member
As stated, you will probably be in the 5,500 - 6,000 range for your actual towing weight.

I've towed over the weight rating, but don't tell anybody. :LOL:

That tow rating seems pretty low for a 4Runner . . . 7K of towing capability would be better.

briangcc

Commander
Nope. Factory tow rating is 5k on a 4Runner. It's the Tacoma (on same box frame and smaller V6) that has the 7k tow rating.

Now, I will say when I was buying my '17 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4 that the salesman said that he had heard up to 7k towing. But that's hearsay....on a narrow and top heavy vehicle.

Having owned it for 4 years, and towed my 19' Chap, I wouldn't even attempt towing over limit.

airshot

Rear Admiral
In my almist 60 years of towing, I learned to never tow at max capacity. Stretching the lumits may be fine as ling as there are no surprises, but.....when an issue arrises, it pays to have a cushion, especially when yours or someone elses life might depend on it. I use not more than 80% of max tow weight to be safe.