Tower of Power - A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldeneyes

Cadet
Hi everyone. Long team reader, first time poster.<br /><br />I have a bit of a problem with my 1974 Merch 115HP engine. It is very difficult to start. Choking and priming doesn't help (brand new Mercury primer stays hard.) I have to use a spray bottle full of pre-mix and spray right into the carbs just to get it to catch. Once that happens, it runs great! I couldn't ask for a better engine. I work at a Marina this summer, and my boss thinks the fuel pump needs rebuilt. It doesn't run very well at a low idle when the tank is almost empty as well, making me think he's right. Any thoughts?<br /><br />I had another couple of questions too.. What are "Reeds"? Are they the system of passages that directs the fuel back from the front of the engine to the combustion chamber?<br /><br />And finally, what octane gas should I run in this thing? I've had one mechanic tell me to run 89, and two others that have said to run 87, and just worry about running good oil.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help!<br />-Stu

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Tower of Power - A few questions

Welcome to iboats!<br /><br />Clams Canino is the inline guru here. Are you sure the choke works properly? If priming manually works, then I would suspect something in the choke mechanism.<br /><br />As far as the fuel, 87 should be fine. Have you tried a decarb?

Goldeneyes

Cadet

The chokes are definitely working properly. No failure there. I've decarbed just this week. It's strange. As I said the thing runs just great once it's started. Like as soon as it catches it wont' stall either. It just literally takes me squirting pre-mix into the carbs to get it going.

ZmOz

Captain

How long have you had the engine? Inlines are a real bi*** to start cold even when everything is working perfectly until you get the hang of it. Are you advancing the idle throttle lever all the way? I don't think the fuel pump will have anything to do with a starting problem - when the primer bulb is hard that means you've pressurized fuel all the way to the carbs. It should start without a fuel pump.<br /><br />Also make sure your battery is in good condition and FULLY charged. These things need a LOT of power to start and have a crappy charging system. Many times mine will turn over making me think the battery is charged, but it isn't charged enough to fire.<br /><br />As for gas, you should use at least 89, 92 is even better. They were designed to run on 90 octane regular. DO NOT run 87!

Clams Canino

Commander

Make sure it's trimmed all the way down /in and then squeeze the bulb hard so as to force some gas past the float needles. You need to advance the throttle AND hold the choke on while cranking. The object is to TRY to flood the beast. :) <br /><br />Run mid-grade gas and a decent quality ashless TCW-3 oil. Pennzoil Synthetic Blend is $10 a gallon at Wal-Mart and perfect for the inlines.<br /><br />If it idles OK, then the reeds are acceptable.<br /><br />-W

Goldeneyes

Cadet

Hey thanks for all the replies.<br /><br />It usually idles fine. Like right off the bat. But when I got back from about a half hour ride last night it had trouble holding an idle, but the tank was pretty low at that point. Maybe I just needed to give it a bit of a prime. So you guys dont' think it's the fuel pump eh? <br /><br />Ok, what about reeds? What do they do?

Goldeneyes

Cadet

OH, and one other thing.<br /><br />When I try to start it, I do have the throttle all the way advanced with the choke on. Still won't catch at all. I don't have power trim so I haven't tried it with it trimmed all the way in, but for the trouble, I might as well pull the cowling off and shoot the pre-mix into the carb right?

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

Reeds are generally made up of thin flexible metal or fiberglass strips. Basically, They control the fuel-air mixture that is going into the crankcase. To make it a bit more clear, as the piston rises in the cylinder the vacuum that is created opens the valve and the fuel-air mixture enters. As the piston descends, it raises the crankcase pressure causing the valve to close, retain the mixture, and pressurize it for its next transfer into the combustion chamber.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Like clams said. Give the bulb 2 or 3 extra hard slow pumps before you try to start it. That is just like squirting pre mix in it. Sure is safer, not as messy and faster. Plus you don't have to pull the cover off.<br />Mine starts better now with a good dose of seafoam every few tanks of fuel. It helps keep the carbs and fuel system clean. Seafoam has made the world of difference on how easy it starts.<br />Tim

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have to learn the quirks of these beast. on my 1350, i pump bulb till hard, turn engine over W/ choke a couple of times, then repump till really really hard. then start W/ Choke. i have also installed a new internal and external witing harness on mine, as the wiring was extremely detoriated.

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

Goldeneyes,<br /><br />"But when I got back from about a half hour ride last night it had trouble holding an idle, but the tank was pretty low at that point."<br /><br />Try setting your carb idle screws two turns out from lightly seated and see if that helps.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Gold Bear

Goldeneyes

Cadet

Ok thanks for the help guys.<br />I'm gonna try to start it today by priming it hard, advancing the throttle and choking... Then repeating that process over again.<br /><br />If I can still only get it to start via the spray bottle, what could be wrong?<br /><br />Gold Bear: Thanks for the post. This is the first time I had any sort of idle problem so it caught me off guard.<br />-Stu

Goldeneyes

Cadet

HEY! It worked. I guess it was that crappy primer bulb I had before that was the problem.<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.

samps22

Recruit
I see a marked difference in starting-hardness if I trim the motor as far down as the riverbed allows, like: starting after 2 seconds rather than 10...
That's with a '74 1150 IL6*

*Still not entirely sure I've got this right, no serial on the motor at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.