Towed some Folk

wdirnbeck

Seaman Apprentice
Went out boating this past Saturday by myself to do some on water carb tuning trying to get my engine running right (low rpm at wot issue) and also just to waste a day where I’d normally probably be sitting around on my phone. Better to do nothing in particular out on the water than on the couch I guess. I was crashed out on the back bench of my 16 ft Glaspar Avalon in late afternoon waiting to see the sunset and noticed some orange flashing maybe 150 yards away. I thought it was probably some putting on a life jacket but I kept seeing it flash so I figured I’d motor over there with it in the back of my mind it could be a distress flag but really doubting that’s what I was seeing (I’ve never seen anyone actually use one). Turns out it was indeed an old 80’s looking bow rider with a dead engine that was slowly taking on water with 3 people on board. When I was younger I always wanted to be in the coast guard so it was exciting to be able to lend a hand to a fellow boater. I tied my dock line onto my port stern cleat, through their trailering eye, and back to my starboard stern cleat to make a V around my outboard and slowly putted them back a mile or two to the Marina. I went back out after helping them tie up to the ramp dock and came back 4 hours later to see them just getting their boat out, not too sure what they were up to but they were nice people. Gave me 40 bucks but I lost it to the lake after I jumped in for a dip after dropping them off haha.

Fun little time, feels good to help. Boaters help boaters

Scott06

Admiral
Went out boating this past Saturday by myself to do some on water carb tuning trying to get my engine running right (low rpm at wot issue) and also just to waste a day where I’d normally probably be sitting around on my phone. Better to do nothing in particular out on the water than on the couch I guess. I was crashed out on the back bench of my 16 ft Glaspar Avalon in late afternoon waiting to see the sunset and noticed some orange flashing maybe 150 yards away. I thought it was probably some putting on a life jacket but I kept seeing it flash so I figured I’d motor over there with it in the back of my mind it could be a distress flag but really doubting that’s what I was seeing (I’ve never seen anyone actually use one). Turns out it was indeed an old 80’s looking bow rider with a dead engine that was slowly taking on water with 3 people on board. When I was younger I always wanted to be in the coast guard so it was exciting to be able to lend a hand to a fellow boater. I tied my dock line onto my port stern cleat, through their trailering eye, and back to my starboard stern cleat to make a V around my outboard and slowly putted them back a mile or two to the Marina. I went back out after helping them tie up to the ramp dock and came back 4 hours later to see them just getting their boat out, not too sure what they were up to but they were nice people. Gave me 40 bucks but I lost it to the lake after I jumped in for a dip after dropping them off haha.

Fun little time, feels good to help. Boaters help boaters
Thats nice always help folks, I figure it could be dead in the water next time. 4 years ago saw a boat in middle of lake with engine hatch up, stopped by. there engine just quit locked up... Towed them about 2 miles to the nearest launch

aspeck

Staff member
I have towed more boats over the years than I care to remember. Needed to be towed a couple times also. In most cases they offered to pay and my usual answer is, my payment is that if you every see anyone disabled, you will tow them to the nearest launch and help them get their vehicle, if necessary.

topgun3690

Lieutenant Junior Grade
All I can say is that it would be a sorry SOB that wouldn't respond to someone in distress.....on the water or otherwise. Using your celly and uploading to social media in real time does not count as "help" either.....lol

kbreks

Seaman
I've been the poor soul needing rescue more times than i care to. got stuck 5 miles off shore on lake Erie around 9:30pm coast guard got me to land 3am Monday morning. That's one thing i don't ever need to experience again. have also been towed in by nearby fisherman once or twice, apologized for wrecking their fishing trip and paid for their next tank of fuel.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
One day in 2011, I was out boating, and ran into my Manager on the water. We chatted a couple of minutes, and went our separate ways. An hour later, I was making a run to the far end of the lake, about 13 miles, and I saw a boat sitting at about the Dead Center of the Lake. On my return, the boat was still there, and it looked like someone was doing Jumping Jacks on the Bow. I headed over and guess who it was.... I came up and asked if he had engine trouble. He said no, but had run out of gas. He then said he had a bunch in his truck. I told him I didn't see any Trucks nearby. I then said there were two Options, Tow him back to the Park, where his Truck was, or get in my Boat, and go and get the Gas. He chose the Latter, and nearly fell in the water getting in my boat. Went back at a leisurely 45mph, which scared him as that faster than he had ever been in a boat. At the Dock he almost fell in again, both getting on to the Dock and getting back in to the Boat. Returned him to his craft, and went our separate ways.
Come Monday, I never mentioned it to anyone at work, but the Idiot sends out an Email to about 200 people about how I had rescued him. I got almost 200 Emails giving me Hell for doing so, that I should have left him there. I had to explain that, I was bound by Law to assist a Vessel in Distress. I then received several emails that said "to hell with the Law...."

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was out fishing alone on a fairly rough day on Lake Huron.-----Some folks on the only other boat out there waved at me.----So I waved back.----And 20 minutes later they waved again.-----Thinking that nobody is that friendly I trolled over in my capable boat.------They said " can you tow us to the harbor " ------I said " get a line ready " -----They asked me if I had rope.------So they tied 2 pieces of their "rope " together.-----Promptly broke when I tried to get the 20' boat moving.------Used my rope to tow them about 10 miles.----Let go of the boat when they reached their mooring spot.-----Tied my boat up in my regular spot visible to them and waited.-----Not one of them came over to say " thank you " ------And I don't think they realized that in the direction of the wind it was 100 miles before they could step on land again.----Have other good stories too.

wdirnbeck

Seaman Apprentice
One day in 2011, I was out boating, and ran into my Manager on the water. We chatted a couple of minutes, and went our separate ways. An hour later, I was making a run to the far end of the lake, about 13 miles, and I saw a boat sitting at about the Dead Center of the Lake. On my return, the boat was still there, and it looked like someone was doing Jumping Jacks on the Bow. I headed over and guess who it was.... I came up and asked if he had engine trouble. He said no, but had run out of gas. He then said he had a bunch in his truck. I told him I didn't see any Trucks nearby. I then said there were two Options, Tow him back to the Park, where his Truck was, or get in my Boat, and go and get the Gas. He chose the Latter, and nearly fell in the water getting in my boat. Went back at a leisurely 45mph, which scared him as that faster than he had ever been in a boat. At the Dock he almost fell in again, both getting on to the Dock and getting back in to the Boat. Returned him to his craft, and went our separate ways.
Come Monday, I never mentioned it to anyone at work, but the Idiot sends out an Email to about 200 people about how I had rescued him. I got almost 200 Emails giving me Hell for doing so, that I should have left him there. I had to explain that, I was bound by Law to assist a Vessel in Distress. I then received several emails that said "to hell with the Law...."
Haha! Guess he wasn’t well liked?

wdirnbeck

Seaman Apprentice
Was out fishing alone on a fairly rough day on Lake Huron.-----Some folks on the only other boat out there waved at me.----So I waved back.----And 20 minutes later they waved again.-----Thinking that nobody is that friendly I trolled over in my capable boat.------They said " can you tow us to the harbor " ------I said " get a line ready " -----They asked me if I had rope.------So they tied 2 pieces of their "rope " together.-----Promptly broke when I tried to get the 20' boat moving.------Used my rope to tow them about 10 miles.----Let go of the boat when they reached their mooring spot.-----Tied my boat up in my regular spot visible to them and waited.-----Not one of them came over to say " thank you " ------And I don't think they realized that in the direction of the wind it was 100 miles before they could step on land again.----Have other good stories too.
Wow 10 miles and they didn’t say thanks… they probably got their day’s recreation fix just on that tow trip and didn’t have to pay for gas!

kbreks

Seaman
when i towed a little boat in loaded with people from a small lake before a storm. they were almost too grateful. The kept getting in my way trying to help me load my boat onto the trailer. on one hand thank for showing appreciation. on the other hand, please get out of my way so i can load my boat the same way i do every time i go out without assistance.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I have towed more boats over the years than I care to remember. Needed to be towed a couple times also. In most cases they offered to pay and my usual answer is, my payment is that if you every see anyone disabled, you will tow them to the nearest launch and help them get their vehicle, if necessary.
Yeah I've fortunately been more often on the helping side of things (not always). I figure at some point I'll need to withdraw from my cosmic account.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
All I can say is that it would be a sorry SOB that wouldn't respond to someone in distress.....on the water or otherwise. Using your celly and uploading to social media in real time does not count as "help" either.....lol
Coast guard (and I assume other) regs require you to help a boat in distress I believe