Towable recommendation

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at getting a towable. Don't need anything real fancy - just a 2-person tube. I've also seen these little balloon-like things that folks tow between the boat and the towable (to keep the rope out of the water and minimize splashing, I believe?) Any recommendations for these items? Thanks!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Looking at getting a towable. Don't need anything real fancy - just a 2-person tube. I've also seen these little balloon-like things that folks tow between the boat and the towable (to keep the rope out of the water and minimize splashing, I believe?) Any recommendations for these items? Thanks!
We had a big mable for many years (6 or so) held up well can tow it from either direction. Kids had a lot of un on it and it held up well

Can't comment on the rope ball

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Don't overbuy. Those things can be tough to handle and deal with if too large. Hard to store, hard to lift, longer to inflate. Only buy to the minimum of what you need imo. The flat "tubes" are fun while on anchor in addition to while being towed. Looking back I think the kids enjoyed the old donut style cheap tube the best. My 2 cents.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't overbuy. Those things can be tough to handle and deal with if too large. Hard to store, hard to lift, longer to inflate. Only buy to the minimum of what you need imo. The flat "tubes" are fun while on anchor in addition to while being towed. Looking back I think the kids enjoyed the old donut style cheap tube the best. My 2 cents.
Yeah, I'm thinking just a basic, two-person towable, and one of those rope ball things.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Try it first without the ball thing. The ski tow eye on your Bryant may be high enough out of the water you don't need it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No matter what you buy, do not try to "jerk" the tow rope. Keep it snug when taking off. My brother bought three tubes and complained they fell apart quickly. I told him they are designed for towing, not jerking your truck out of the snowbank....

Jimwhall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We've used alot of different towables over the years. My kids seem to settle on the triangle shapes with holes in them. They felt the chariots were 'too boring' and want more room than a single conventional tube. We just ordered a 3 person flat tube so we'll see how that goes. In the past they are great you just have to make sure to lean back during the hole shot; or at least not lean forward.

We have the PowerBall because on my Sylvan the tow height for the rope was very low; going off of a belly band hooked up to rings in the back. The Powerball works, but it isn't perfect. You'll still get some splash and 'snags' in the wake between powerball and tube. It's also a bit of a PITA to set up. If you have a higher tow point (the tow eye on my Four Winns seems to suffice) I wouldn't bother. But if you have a lower tow point it's worth it.

Jimwhall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When my kids complain about a tube, or the fact that they don't like the handles, I explain to them that I learned to tube off of a 14' Larson using old truck tubes we got from the local truck shop. They were so much fun, we'd get off the lake with scratches along our abdomen from that damned brass fill tube. Shocked we didn't disembowel ourselves LOL. Still, we had fun.

I realize that's an 'going to school up hill both ways' story but the new tubes are pretty damned amazing.

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
We got a WOW Big Bazooka and ran it for the first time on Sunday. I picked it because the videos looked like it was more maneuverable and exciting than a standard tube.

The "kids" (youngest is 22) had a good time on it. I took a ride and it was a workout. I got dumped pretty quick after getting outside the wake and then coming back across to the other side. Caught an edge and flipped off. I thought it was pretty good for adults and, for a 57 year old guy in marginal shape, it was a workout.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We have a 2-3 man tube and rarely gets used. Good for a nice quiet pull, and very difficult to tip over, so very safe. I find it must travel at higher speeds to get any skipping.
Now for good fun, we always pull 2 separate donuts. Sitting in the hole it's very stable. Lying on your stomach, it's gets very tippy and really skips.. And that's going in that 20mph range. If you drive nicely, they will tag each other from time to time. A little more input from the boat driver, and you can get all kinds of action from the tubes going back and forth. Get a good zigzag rhythm going and everyone loves the ride.
Some people say its way too dangerous, but a little common sense and the driver controls how the tubes go back and forth and if you want a big collision. Us big adult kids usually fell off from laughing too hard.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've found that O'Brien tubes seem to hold up better than other brands. I've never had one of those floating balls on the rope; I've never seen a need for it.

We've got a Rave Razor, which is good for two kids. It's the toughest tube that we've ever owned. My two 14yr old nephews are skinny and didn't think there was enough space. My 9yr old and her 7yr old cousin love riding side-by-side.

My brother has one of those big 4-person tubes. It's nice but is made to mostly tow around the lake. If your kids like being whipped around and flying over the wake, go for a smaller 1 or 2 person tube.

I have an Alumacraft fishing boat so I connect to the stern eyes. Therefore I also have a booster ball between the boat and tube. Tubes used to spray everyone but the booster ball virtually eliminates that spray and the propensity for the tube to want to dive into the lake.

Good luck