tow vehicle tire question

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: tow vehicle tire question

I can't see what year truck he has for sure but the speed sensor on most Dodges are on top of the rear diff., some newer models are in the left front wheel bearing. Same sensor as the abs.

If that's the case, the computer would still have no idea of the bigger tires and the speedo will still be off.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The computer will "learn" and compensate for transmission shift points by "sensing" the load on the drivetrain, but it will not compensate or learn the speedometer error due to tire size.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I think going from Michelin LTX tires to GoodYear you will not like.

I have run the Michelin X tires on everything i drive.My last set lasted well over 70k miles. Yes,any tire will dry rot crack when they get about 6 years or so old.
With tires you really get what you pay for...:rolleyes:

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think going from Michelin LTX tires to GoodYear you will not like.

I have run the Michelin X tires on everything i drive.My last set lasted well over 70k miles. Yes,any tire will dry rot crack when they get about 6 years or so old.
With tires you really get what you pay for...:rolleyes:
the goodriches as stated have 50k on them.
the truck as now has a little over 74k, you figure it out.
the information about the cracking came from dodge cummins diesel forum.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I run the 265/70/17 on my 04 Nissan Titan. Has to be similar in weight to yours. Mine measure about 30.75" (front tires) tall on the truck. I have went up and down on the sizes twice and never had a big issue. Maybe the speedo was off, never got a ticket so I don't know and never worried about it. If you go taller I would ask the dealer what is a common size. The more common sizes seem to be on sale more and can save a few hundred when you have to replace.

Looks like you may have P rated tires on now. If you go to an LT you will get a bit stiffer ride and they don't seem to wear as well. But you will have the abilty to air up and get more load capacity with an LT.

Personally I have went back to running the P rated tires on newer 1/2t pickups. The only compliant I ever had with them is the sidewalls while driving in rocks do cut easier. But the Nissan I cant even reach the load capacity of the tire with the stock springs so I figure until I get a helper or airbags there's no use buying tires that I can't put to use.

I run P rated Bridgestones. They are a 6 ply (4 tread..2 sidewall) with 2535lb load capacity at 44psi. The same LT will have a lower load capacity at 44psi, but the adtvantage is you can air up an LT and increase the rating where a P rated tire you cannot, and you can get a more aggresive tread on an LT.

MRS

Commander

I re quoted my own post, read this and then read below ......

thanks...I think ????? :confused::confused:

you guys got way off topic with the speedo comments, lets for a second pretend I don't care about the speedo, I have a GPS if I need to double check and I actually speed everywhere, so I don't care how fast the needle says....lol

I learned about the wall size from another comment, but

the tires on the truck now are Michelin LTX A/S P245-70R-17
the new 09 Ram 1500's have Goodyear Wrangler SR-A 265-70R-17

and the tire looks a lot bigger in the wheel well.....what I want to do is fill the wheel well and not affect towing......

this is my question ??.....will going with the 265's make the tire look bigger in the wheel well ??
parked side by side to an 09 Dodge that 265 tire looks a lot bigger in there...

I have a 01 diesel Dodge and that is what I did looks whey better. I run the goodyear wranglers with kevlar and they have been great tires so far. I do get them rotated every 7,500 miles it is free so why not......:)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

you can go with the larger tires, then go with a Superchips tuner to adjust the speedometer. There is also a tow/haul setting you will love, tons of power and better mpg's.....ill pm you some more info for it.

Shizzy

Ensign

you are basically going up "one size" in tire. It will probably effect power slightly and you may notice a slight change in stability. then again, you may not notice any change at all. was the 265 an option for your truck in the first place? My old K Blazer had the optional 265/75/16 on it aa opposed to the 245's.

I went from P235/75/15's to 31x10.5/15's on my little Ranger with the stock rims and they fit fine, dont rub, only added a tiny bit of body roll at highway speeds and I noticed no loss of MPG and only a slight loss of power, but I just needed to shift a half second later. But the truck looks 10 times better.

I think most trucks can handle one step up in tire without any real effect on anything.

One last thing. When I had the tires mounted they mounted two, bolted them to the front of my truck, put each front corner under full compression and turned the steering wheel back and forth. once it was determined all was good they mounted the other two.

NYBo

Admiral

The computer will "learn" and compensate for transmission shift points by "sensing" the load on the drivetrain, but it will not compensate or learn the speedometer error due to tire size.
Absolutely correct. The reason Appaloosa2's speedometer is dead accurate by GPS after a small increase in tire sizes? Speedometers by law cannot under-read true speed, so manufacturers err in the other direction so they normally read a little higher than actual speed.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Absolutely correct. The reason Appaloosa2's speedometer is dead accurate by GPS after a small increase in tire sizes? Speedometers by law cannot under-read true speed, so manufacturers err in the other direction so they normally read a little higher than actual speed.

care to point out that law anywhere? GM had a class action lawsuit against it and lost for inaccurate mileage (speedo reading higher than actual), and toyota also had issues with it, but made good without the lawsuit. Those all refer to a speedo reading HIGHER than normal, I've never heard a single issue of one reading lower.

NYBo

Admiral

care to point out that law anywhere? GM had a class action lawsuit against it and lost for inaccurate mileage (speedo reading higher than actual), and toyota also had issues with it, but made good without the lawsuit. Those all refer to a speedo reading HIGHER than normal, I've never heard a single issue of one reading lower.
I know it gets a bit confusing when describing the way this works- I had to re-read my own post several times to make sure I got it right. Let me explain in a different way:

If you are actually traveling 55 MPH, the speedometer cannot read lower
than 55. It can, however read higher than 55. If it read lower than 55, it would be under-reading the actual speed. What got GM and Toyota in trouble was how much their speedometers were off from actual speed. But I'm having trouble finding the text of the law. Perhaps there is no such law and manufacturers are simply trying to prevent lawsuits for speeding tickets for speedometers that read too low?

Shizzy

Ensign

going from a 29" tall tire to a 31" tall tire my speedometer still reads a tad fast according to those radar speed trailers and riding next to those new Honda Civics with the giant digital speedo. at 55MPH im showing about 56-57 MPH on my speedo. havent checked it with a GPS, but as far as Im concerned, I its close enogh for me.