Touring the USA

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What do you reckon are the "must see" places of the USA? <br /><br />If you were designing a three or four week tour to see the different sides of the "real America" - where would you go?

FLATHEAD

Commander
Re: Touring the USA

There is just so much to offer. Down spinners way there is the Smokey mountains and the blue ridge parkway.The northeast coast has a flavor all it's own, beautiful up there. The west coast has the coastal highway and some great Parks. Down south you have the gulf coast, and the southern hospitality. You can see a lot in 4 weeks but you'll never see it all.<br /><br />From my experience I would travel along the rocky mountains. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming Colorado, Utah, Nevada. There are so many natural parks in this area including Glacier,Yellowstone, Grand Teton, grand canyon, price canyon, Zion, just to name a few. <br /><br />Unfortunately the "real America" is disappearing into one blur of strip stores, shopping malls, and fast food joints. If you stay on the main highway every town is starting to look the same. I'll do a 4 weeker every few years and when I do I stay off the main highways and travel the little two lanes roads. I try to get as remote as possible. Thats the only way to see the real America. Stop in the little one horse towns and eat at the local diner, go into the Mom and Pop stores. Stay in a bed and breakfast, shoot the bull with the locals. <br /><br />What time of year are you planning to come over?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'd say visit an Amish farm community.<br />A Texas high school football game on a fall Friday night.<br />Any of the big ethnic festivals, take your pick.<br />A drive along the northern 1/3 of the Mississippi River.<br />The Kennedy Space Center.

Bondo

Staff member

With 72,000 members,........ Just visiting Us will take More than 4 weeks,........ :D <br /><br />If you get to the Northeast shores of Lake Ontario,.......<br />I've got parking,+ a bed for ya........... ;)

scrapper

Ensign

Niagra Falls is another, Alsocheck it out from the Canadian side :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Olympic National Park,..Esp. Hoh river rain forest.....The San Juan Islands....A concert at the Gorge @ George, Grand Coulee Dam, (All WA.) Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks....Washington, D.C...Gettysburg, PA...The Florida Keys....Canyonlands National <br />Park, Moab, Utah....Coast betweem San Francisco & Los Angeles.....Some of my faves,the list is endless.....JK

Drowned Rat

Captain

Obviously Arizona! :D Seriously, if I had 4 weeks, I'd spend at least 2 of them exploring Grand Canyon. Take a back country hike, or go on a whitewater river trip. Just peering over the rim isn't enough, you have to get down into the canyon. It'll change your life.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm just fishing for ideas for a tour I might do in about a year's time.<br /><br />I've been fortunate have some recent (too short) business trips to your country which have been great and made me keen to see more... <br /><br />JK - where's the Gorge @ George ?

rwise

Captain

Pikes peak, and Estes park Colorado, and so much more,,,,,,<br />Are you going to do any fishing?

PW2

Commander

If it's scenery you are after, a trip up Hiway 101 from say Eureka Calif, along the coast hiway to Port Angeles, Wa along the Oregon and Washinton coast is a must.

aspeck

Staff member

Kiwi, what are the things that YOU are interested in seeing? Do you like natural wonders? Man-made wonders? Beaches? Lakes? Cities? Towns? History? Modern life? Night life? Sports?<br /><br />There are so many different things to see and so many different types of trips to plan. Give us a heads up on what your preferences would be and then we can point you in the right direction.

PW2

Commander

I can't think of a single place in America that does not have something worth seeing and experiencing, whether your interests are cultural, scenic, historical, or what have you.<br /><br />Do give us a hint on where your interest lies.

JRJ

Commander

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been coast to coast and not seen it all. As PW2 asked, any particular interest?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good question... all the suggestions above are interesting to me. Nobody has struck out yet :D <br /><br />Like most people, I of course like to see a few of the famous "trophy" tourist sites (some things off the "been there done that" list)...BUT my real preference is for getting away from the tourist areas and seeing the country in it's natural and real-life form. Not the areas transformed for the purpose of luring in the tourist bux (we have these in NZ too). What Flahthead talked about is "spot on".<br /><br />In California I particularly enjoyed the tour that "Bob in Calif" took me on, which was around the forest and coastal areas of San Mateo County (where he used to be Deputy Sheriff). Having a whisky with the rural folk at the "General Store", visiting a real life redneck pumpkin farm - all classic stuff! Crab Bait's suggestions for San Francisco (Chinatown etc and the big redwood trees) were also spot on.<br /><br />All ideas are welcome and appreciated. You guys know the country a lot better than I do - however I take your point that it's very much a case of - you'll find what you're looking for. :D <br /><br />I'd be pleased to give the benefit of my 2c worth to anyone planning on a trip "down under" to NZ & Australia. There's plenty to see here too ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Hmmm, east coast things to see:<br /><br />Green Mountians of Vermont<br /><br />NH - Mount Washington and Cog Railroad.<br /><br />Cape Cod area - beautiful, natural beauty mixed with rich folks homes<br /><br />NYC - lots to see and do there.<br /><br />Philly - Liberty bell, Independence Hall, city of brotherly love.<br /><br />Lancaster/Bucks/Berks County, PA - Amish Country, go back in time and see how we lived before electricity and running water. Beautiful farm land, great food, Sight and Sound is a great place to pick up a show.<br /><br />Gettysburg, PA - lot of history<br /><br />Appalachian Trail - if you like to hike<br /><br />Washington D.C - lots of stuff there<br /><br />Williamsburg, VA - great history lesson of our country<br /><br />South East Coast (Myrtle Beach, etc) - Beautiful coast line and beaches<br /><br />Atlanta, GA - home of Coca Cola and the Underground<br /><br />Gulf Coast - lovely beaches and Southern living<br /><br />Great Smokey Mountians - Lots to do, starting to get built up around it, but beautiful country.<br /><br />MidWest - Mighty Mississipi and down home US living<br /><br />Not as well versed with the west, but love the Grand Canyon and Lake Mead.<br /><br />Oh, so much more - I will have to think about this a little harder.

ob

Admiral

Flathead mentioned one that comes to mind.Yellowstone National Park.

PW2

Commander

Let's see...The west...<br /><br />1. Oregon Coast<br /><br />2. Washington Coast, hoh rain forest and Olympic Nat'l park.<br /><br />2.5 Seattle; Pike Place market; underground city tour; U of W Arboretum; Museum of History and Industry<br /><br />3. Mt Rainier Nat'l park; Mt St Helens.<br /><br />4. Reno, Nv, Virginia City, NV Ponderosa Ranch, and a myriad of ghost towns around, etc.<br /><br />5. Custer's battlefield, Montana <br /><br />6. Badlands of North & South Dakota<br /><br />That should pretty well fill up the first day...