Torquing #'s for the 4 O/B bolts to transom?

Expidia

Commander
I'm asking this in the general forum and not the Lund forum since it's probably the same for all 15 foot or so aluminum transoms.

I raised the Merc 40 4 stroke EFI ELPT outboard a hole yesterday. I looked through all my documentation and found no reference to how much to torque down the 4 bolts that hold the bracket to the Transom. My neighbor was cranking them down as I was reaching into the transom lockers to keep an open end wrench on the nut to keep it from turning.

I don't want them too tight for fear of bending the transom but I couldn't judge how much he tightened them down.

Boat is a 2007 14.9 Lund Classic.

Thx

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Torquing #'s for the 4 O/B bolts to transom?

Use nylon lock nuts and make them good and snug. No need to distort the transom or motor bracket. With the lock nuts, the motor is not going anywhere.

Expidia

Commander

Use nylon lock nuts and make them good and snug. No need to distort the transom or motor bracket. With the lock nuts, the motor is not going anywhere.

Thx Drew. I tried to Email Lund's C/S but of course they blow you off to contact your dealer for any questions. Nice Huh?

With customer service like this is it any wonder why Brunswick's stock price is only $4 a share :eek:

I was amazed to see that price when one realizes how many brand names Brunswick owns and controls. The weak will go in hard times, but one would think Brunswick would survive in the leisure industry being as diversified as they are.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I dont think there is any specific numbers to be honest with you.

Expidia

Commander

Thx for the reply. Nothings distorted and they already were Nylon nuts. Just figured I'd go by the book and torque them down. I'll email Lund's customer service for the numbers.

Dunaruna

Admiral

They are SS bolts? You need to replace the nyloc each time they are removed.

Expidia

Commander

They are SS bolts? You need to replace the nyloc each time they are removed.

I thought about that. Because I used an electric impact wrench this time since it took me so long the first time just using a ratchet wrench. Those bolts are 6 inches long. While I was spinning the nuts off, I thought about the heat from them spinning too fast probably would melt the plastic and defeat it's self locking ability.

But first I'll test drive it to make sure the one hole I dropped back is OK now. If I have to go back up again I don't want to blow through 4 more nuts. If there is no spray, I'll pick up 4 nuts and replace them.

I actually found the documentation that came with the Merc tonight. Drew (another poster) was right. Most of the other bolts had torque #'s but these 4 mounting bolts do not.

I don't mind changing the nuts again. I just don't want to have to move the motor again. But I should be all right because the Merc doc. said O/B should be mounted with the cav plate even with the bottom of the transom or no more than 1 inch lower. I would have thought it would be up to one inch higher to eliminate spray. Guess not. The two holes I went up had it probably too high above the cav plate anyway. I think this had a detrimental effect on the handling. Weather wise, I might get a chance to test drive it by weeks end.

I actually, of course :( heard a little crack sound when I was tightening down the steering arm's plastic nut after I re-greased the steering rod. It's the one that keeps the grease in the steering tube. The cable end is metal, but the other end that connects to the rod, that pulls the O/B from left to right split when I over tightened it. So I wound it with black plastic tape for now and I'll pick up 4 nuts at the dealer and get another plastic nut that I just snapped.