Torque wrenches

Meaux

Seaman
Hey Guys,<br /><br /> What size or range torque wrench should I buy to replace the head bolts and rod caps on small outboard motors in the 3 to 40 hp range??<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Meaux

ob

Admiral
Re: Torque wrenches

A 3/8 drive torque wrench in the 10 - 100 ft lb. range should suit your needs.Several brands to choose from.See if you can find one with the in.lb. scale and ft.lb.If most of your sockets are 1/2 drive you can get an adapter cheap.

BillP

Captain

A small 0-90 ft lb wrench will do most of that stuff. Don't buy a cheap clicker type unless you are willing to gamble. A cheap bar type is more consistant. I've checekd my two cheap bar types (0-90ftlb & 0-150ftlb) against my $250 Klein clicker and they are right on the mark. If you buy a used quality clicker type send it to the factory for calibration.<br /><br />A friend of mine bought a new Sears clicker just to put his airplane engine together...it threw a rod and subsquently he had a forced landing on I-95. Culprit was found to be loose rod caps which resulted in us finding the Sears wrench WAY off. Every bolt on the engine was under torqued.

brent suzkui wyble j16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i've used Sears wrenches with out a problem. If it was something i would be flying i dont care what the brand, it would be calibrated!!

sloopy

Commander

Snap on makes good ones they are great. Cornwell needs to improve their tools a bit.

D

DJ

Meaux,<br /><br />I would purchase a bar or dial type INCH POUND torque wrench. Many of the specs. for these little engines are in inch pounds, not foot.<br /><br />When you are at the lower end of the scale (10 foot pounds) I feel the accuracy of the bigger wrenches suffers a little. You will be in the middle or upper end of the scale on most inch pound wrenches.

Meaux

Seaman

Thanks to all you guys for the input-<br /><br />I checked with Sears today and saw a wide range of wenches, drives,prices and ranges. I'll check with NAPA when I get home and see what they have.<br />Thanks again for the good info.<br /><br />Meaux