Torque steer problem fixed!!

ntoracn@yahoo.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tried to update a previous post and couldn't. A little background, I have a 1987 20 hp that had a VERY bad torque steer issue that trimming the motor in or out didn't help. When I purchased the motor, it had a rear corner of the cavitation plate broken off.

I installed a fabbed piece of aluminum to replace the broken corner of the anti-cavitation plate. I haven't welded it on as of yet, as I have 3 bolts going thru the anode/trim tab holding the piece on very snugly.

I also found that if I trimmed the motor to far in, some of the torque steer would return. I'm running the motor in the middle of the trim holes and I can drive it with one finger at any throttle angle!!!

We went to lake Silverwood here in So Calif, and shocked :eek: all of the people camped around our beach spot when my 1987 20 hp Merc (with a 25 hp carb pulled me up on an old "skurfer" with my wife, 2 kids and our dog in the boat. And I'm not talking beach starts either :)

This motor rocks! Thanks for all the help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Torque steer problem fixed!!

i learned to ski behind fishing boat with a 1950 15hp rude. i now have a 1960 14' alum. fisherman w/ '55 15hp rude. i've made several dollars on bets that i could ski behind it. of course using 2 skis.