Torqe for impeller housing in 3.0 merc i/o

Pdevito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone know correct torque for the 4 small bolts also do you use gasket seal on all 3 gaskets ? Some say only the bottom but i do not want any issues.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Does anyone know correct torque for the 4 small bolts also do you use gasket seal on all 3 gaskets ? Some say only the bottom but i do not want any issues.
its like 15 inch pounds. or snug with a 1/4" ratchet and calibrated elbow... never used a torque wrench on it.

I have never used sealant on the gaskets, but some use perfect seal/Permatex #3, which wont hurt

pay attention to the order and holes being in correct orientation.

If you are gonna do your own work it is worth getting a factory manual for the drive and the engine. All these details are laid out in there. I found used ones on ebay for about $35-40 each. well worth it.

Pdevito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. Also, this yellow part will not come out. Is there a special tool for that You can see definitely need to be changed

Attachments

• 17067982686226554164863387042666.jpg
    17067982686226554164863387042666.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thank you. Also, this yellow part will not come out. Is there a special tool for that You can see definitely need to be changed
two phillips screwdrivers in the holes partway up the cone. They will lever it out.

Important to change that since it must have gotten hot. Did the impeller pieces get into cooling system? Hopefully you are using merc parts - some of the aftermarket impellers are junk.

I think in the stickies (top or mercruiser page) it lays out how to make a drive pressure tester, might be worth doing after you get it all together

Pdevito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No the impeller was intactso just this thing is warned down

Pdevito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
two phillips screwdrivers in the holes partway up the cone. They will lever it out.

Important to change that since it must have gotten hot. Did the impeller pieces get into cooling system? Hopefully you are using merc parts - some of the aftermarket impellers are junk.

I think in the stickies (top or mercruiser page) it lays out how to make a drive pressure tester, might be worth doing after you get it all together
Yeah, I know the drill always use Mercury or parts or quicksilver. The yellow part went back in now, but it doesn't seem like it goes down. Really far. Is it's supposed to be snug or in a certain position

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I know the drill always use Mercury or parts or quicksilver. The yellow part went back in now, but it doesn't seem like it goes down. Really far. Is it's supposed to be snug or in a certain position
it only goes down far enough to seat the oring, also the top of it supports the wear plate under the impeller so it should be even with the top of housing where the plate sits. The manual tells you not to drive it in but I had to tap mine down to get it in. Lubing the oring helps

Manual #14 is the correct one for your gen 2 drive

Pdevito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, I do have the manual but it's in the house on the computer and I'm out in the shop. So I always Love the little helping hand said. Everybody gives you with a little tips that are not on a computer. Thank you very much.

Pdevito

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, it's always little tips and tricks. I did get it in so I put the other one on top of it. The old one and put pushed really hard and popped it in and we're good to go. Thank you for all your help

Attachments

• 17068037896381882424356506565526.jpg
    17068037896381882424356506565526.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

harringtondav

Commander
I fabbed up these puller hooks. I put a small hose clamp around the rods above the carrier to hold the points in the holes in the seal carrier, and a smaller hose under the handles to keep them aligned.
I've had to whack the handles up with a hammer on tough carriers.
Do not gum out the holes on the carrier, or you'll be forced to cut it out with a multi function tool. .....carefully to not damage the seal surfaces in the housing and on the shaft.
Best to buy the complete carrier assembly, Mercury 807929A1.
Also be sure to pack the space between the shaft seals with a waterproof grease. Merc 2-4-C w/Teflon is the best. Also grease up the carrier bore before driving it home.

Carrier puller.jpg