topside fuel box venting

kory77

Cadet
i have an 18 ft starcraft with major tank problems. i didnt want to deal with the gas tank being under the floor where i cant access it so im putting in a topside tank. i want to put it in the rear of the boat. iwant to biuld a box to enclost the tank in and put some seats on either side. how do i properly vent a gas compartment box so it is safe?? also the box will be about a foot and a half away from the battery,will this pose a probem?? thanks,any input would be appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: topside fuel box venting

It may better to keep the tank where it is, the boat was designed for the weight to be in the existing spot, unless this is in the same area.

It won't any more difficult to cut the floor and put in a new tank, than do all the work to make a new box and seats. If you do make seats, the area where the tank would gone can now be storage.

Below deck tanks are vented on there own, with no openings in the enclosed space.

D

DJ

If the tank is "in a box" it is considered enclosed. Thus, it must be vented to the outside. Outside can mean into the splashwell, or through the hull.

Some fuel filler assemblies are also vents. I would go that route.

The location of the battery is not an issue but I would put it in a battery box.

kory77

Cadet

thanks for the input. my problem is that the exsisting tank is custom and i cannot locate any replacements that will fit, they are all too tall. i need one that has a five inch depth. i just figured it would be cheaper and easier to put in a topside. just wondered if its safe as long as its vented, i dont want to blow up my family. i didnt think the extra weight in the back would pose a problem.