Tops out at 3000 RPM

kapaafire

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
46
I have an 83" 115 hp evinrude (VRO removed and I mix directly in-hull galvanized tank)

Went out today and the motor ran fine for about 20 min at near full throttle, my top speed on a flat day would be around 28-30 mph. Then it just bogged down and topped out at 3000 RPM at full throttle. It felt like there was a restrictor on it.

I just recently changed my rectifier (now the tach works).

Also, while fueling up I added SOLTRON fuel additive. I was told to use this to help counter the effects of E-10 in the fuel.

When I returned to the dock, I checked my Sierra Fuel Filter and found that it was 3/4 full w/ water.

Could I have broken loose some particles in the tank and clogged 1 of the carbs?

I checked the spark at home and found the port side had no spark! Probably the problem.

What should I start with?
Powerpack? Stator? Charge Coils?

Would 1 side just lose spark all of a sudden?
Was the topping out due to fuel or spark? Or both?

Sorry for all the questions, but THANKS in advance.
 

kapaafire

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
46
Re: Tops out at 3000 RPM

Thanks tashasdaddy

I will try the tests.
 

iwombat

Captain
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
3,767
Re: Tops out at 3000 RPM

Start swapping your port side components w/ your starboard side (1 at a time) and see if you can get the no-spark condition to change sides.
 
Top