Topic not answered

brother chris

Commander
Okay, I know this might get moved to the outboard repair section, but no-one helped me out there so I'm asking here for help.<br />I went boating last weekend and the overheating alarm went off while idling the motor.<br />It is a 1978 Evinrude 55hp.<br />After the alarm went off, I put it in drive and drove for a bit, then the alarm stopped. The "P" stream was okay for the entire duration(I put a new impellor in it last year). <br />The overheating alarm never went off again.<br />Any ideas or do I have nothing to worry about? <br />Thanks and sorry for posting in Dockside chat.<br />Brother Chris.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Topic not answered

The irony is that the person who is going to move it to "Outboard Repair" is the person who can probably answer the question. Maybe it was overlooked, try bumping it up to the top of the list.<br /><br />Aldo

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You have a reply in the other thread that's also bumped it to the top.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks for the help. There is not much else I can do except check the thermo and/or the water pump(and the wiring).<br />Cheers,<br />Brother Chris.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

True. Without tearing the exaust minifold plate and head off, (restricted cooling circuit) check the thermostat. Better yet, just replace it.They're cheap, and they do fail often. Change it whenever you change the impeller ,just because. BTW,If your old impeller was not completely intact,you can bet pieces of it still exist inside the cooling circuit.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Guess where.