top speed issue with 4.3L OMC Cobra

goobtroob10

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
2
I just bought a 17.5 ft four winn runabout with open bow with the 4.3L omc cobra it usually runs at about 4700 rpms and the most speed i can get is about 35-37 mph, the specs say that it can go 45-48mph. I'm at about 5000 ft above sea level so this obviously affects it some but that much? it has a 15/15 pitch prop, how can i get more speed out of it?? Is it the right pitch?
 

a70eliminator

Captain
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
3,762
Re: top speed issue with 4.3L OMC Cobra

It seems to me that engine behind a 17' boat should be able to turn a 19P at least if not a 21, with a 15p I would think it would rev to the moon if it was in good tune but the cam probably is holding back.
 

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
1,708
Re: top speed issue with 4.3L OMC Cobra

Sounds like something else is wrong... There's a sticky in the i/o forums below about diagnosing this sort of thing.. just walk through and check everything... often time is engine not running right, etc...
 

goobtroob10

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
2
Re: top speed issue with 4.3L OMC Cobra

thanx for the help. i'll check with the dealer on props.
 

mthieme

Captain
Joined
Oct 6, 2007
Messages
3,270
Re: top speed issue with 4.3L OMC Cobra

Agree with A70...if not a 23P.
I have a 19' -4.3 - running a 21P. Tried a 19P last summer and lost 4 knots.
There was a thread last fall about 4.3's and top end. You might do a search for it. There were a lot of replies with basic data that you might benefit from.
 

SteveDavis

Seaman
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
74
Re: top speed issue with 4.3L OMC Cobra

Say, I have an '86 Crestliner that is 17.5'. I also have a 4.3L OMC Cobra. The boat has been in storage for the winter, but I believe I am running a 21 pitch. I hit 55mph pretty easily, at somewhere near 45-46,000RPM. My problem is I need faster planing. I am going to try a 19 or even a 17 pitch. It would seem that your 15 pitch is way to low for what you are looking for.
 

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Messages
19,069
Re: top speed issue with 4.3L OMC Cobra

Be sure it is in excellent tune,has good compression and throttle is opening all the way.Your speed is slow but about right for a 15X15 prop.Is the prop in excellent shape?Even allowing for the elevation I think you should be overreving with that prop.
 
Top