Top side of Keel? What should I expect?

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have yet another newbie question for you all. We have an '88 Glastron bowrider and have noticed what appears to be a board that runs the length of the boat and is glassed to the hull. The problem is that the fiberglass now looks to be hollow. Here in the southwest it has been very dry and especially windy lately. As you can see from the photos below, we still have water trapped below. I will be cutting this out to replace it as well, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys first.

Anyone know what I can expect, rotten wood or foam?

What is this piece called? I wouldn't guess it's a "stringer", for now I'm calling it the topside of the keel.

Anything in particular I should know about reconstructing this piece?

Here are the photos. First the one showing the forward portion of the piece which is circled in red.
KeelTopSide-sm.JPG

Here is a shot of the muck splashing out when I step down on it.
MuckSplash-sm.JPG

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Top side of Keel? What should I expect?

Technical description is "gross piece of crap glassed to the bottom of your boat that makes a squishy sound when you step on it. Built to trap water and mold for the purpose of making your restoration process just that much harder".

Found that on Wikipedia somewhere.

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh yes... You gave the technical definition of it, my research shows this is the laymans' description:

the squishy crap in the crack...

I thought it looked familiar -- smells different though:rolleyes:

Either way it's coming out, time to rid this boat of the kruft. I think I will replace it though -- it's probably important.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I had a board like that in the bilge on mine. It appeared to be for attaching the bilge pump so the screw didn't go through the hull. If I had it to do over again, would just replace a small portion.

For the forward area, I did place a 6" wide foam plank as a centerboard to prevent the poared foam from sealing the area. My theory is that with a small channel, any moisture will be able to get to the rear engine compartment weep hole and be able to be pumped out (ok - it's a theory :redface:).

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting theory. I'll keep that in mind, thanks Pirate!