Top bolt for trim sender grommet, importance?

sixt9stang

Cadet
Finally was able to get the 2 bolts out holding the grommets for the trim senders on my Alpha One. I got the bottom one in and I am just curious if people think it will be ok with just that one tight or if I should struggle to get the top one in also?

The previous owner had ran some new wires and drilled holes through the hull which I want to fill now. I was thinking of using 3M 5200 for that. Would that be ok or should I use a different method.

Thanks all!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Finally was able to get the 2 bolts out holding the grommets for the trim senders on my Alpha One. I got the bottom one in and I am just curious if people think it will be ok with just that one tight or if I should struggle to get the top one in also?

Not a good idea to leave the top screw out. If it wasn't needed, Merc wouldn't have put it there. Get a 7/16" ring spanner, heat it up and put a 90 degree bend about 4cm from the end. That's will be what you need to tighten the screw.

The previous owner had ran some new wires and drilled holes through the hull which I want to fill now. I was thinking of using 3M 5200 for that. Would that be ok or should I use a different method.

Thanks all!

Personally, I'd use fibreglass resin...

Chris......

sixt9stang

Cadet
Thanks. I have been bending some different wrenches so I will work at it. I will also grab some resin to pack the holes. Thanks for the advice.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I will also grab some resin to pack the holes. Thanks for the advice.

If you're not going to feather out the holes and repair with some new glass mat/cloth, I would use thickened epoxy to fill the hole... Its stronger and adheres better than polyester resin and will be less likely to pop loose.

harringtondav

Commander
I purchased a 7/16" pivot head, ratcheting box end wrench just for this cap screw on my Gen II.

sixt9stang

Cadet

sixt9stang

Cadet
If you're not going to feather out the holes and repair with some new glass mat/cloth, I would use thickened epoxy to fill the hole... Its stronger and adheres better than polyester resin and will be less likely to pop loose.

I was not planning on feathering them out or anything. I am mostly getting the boat ready to sell and just want it fixed up a bit more. I picked up some normal Bondo brand fiberglass resin. I am guessing that is polyester stuff.