Tool prices are ridiculous

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tool prices are ridiculous

Originally posted by Grant S:<br /> I wonder why they are not correspondingly less expensive.
There is most likely a signifigant difference between a Chinese Dewalt tool and a generic Harbor Freight Chinese tool. However, I suspect that DeWalt et al are trying to capitalize on some windfall profits while they are able. As generic brand Chinese tools improve in quality, durability and name recognition, Dewalt will not be able to keep their prices high.<br /><br />It is a progression that has happened with other emerging Asian countries such as Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

Link

Rear Admiral

I will give these examples:<br />Sometimes you get what you pay for.<br />And I do like buying from Harbor China/Freight<br />But for tools that Im going to keep and need performance from I buy Name Brands<br />BTW I never buy from HF if it is not on sale.<br />Or Northern Tools.. or MAX Tools same things about 10 dollars higher..<br />Take the 115 PIECE TITANIUM NITRIDE COATED M2 HIGH SPEED STEEL DRILL BIT SET $39.99<br />Great for a one time hole on American steel (not Korean) Korean steel maybe 15-20 holes..and in the case of CASE harderd American steel dont even try them! Did that 4 years ago.. shift lever on a 1985 F250 shift lever... China/asain built would not cut throwgh it.. spent five minutes drilling..<br />Took my $125.00 9 bit American built Rodman set out and it went through it like butter..<br />They also offer a miter saw.. around $189.00 hehe No-one myself includedd can make the same slice twice.. it dont work.. but its not $500.00 <br />my 02.00

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Many of the goods out of China are lower quailty when compared with goods produced in the US, Europe etc. Unfortunalty, they are getting better all the time. Remember when Japanese products were ridiculed as inferior? Look at them now. The Chinese are quickly getting better too. The whole China situation is down-right scary. Today we are all reaping the benefits of low priced imported goods, but at what cost? I sometimes wonder just how my kids will make a living in the future. Hopefully, as doors close others will open. Right now I don't see what those other doors may be. I hope this era does not go down in history of the end of the middle class in western society. We'll see...

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Grant S:<br /> I agree with Jimchere, but find that trade quality tools from China are OK, but they are more expensive than the low quality handyman stuff. Some Makita and Dewalt tools are made there and carry the same guarantees that their domestic made stuff does. I wonder why they are not correspondingly less expensive.
China made products are not exclusively made by Chinese companies. American companies have invested billions of dollars overseas. Not so much in China, but serious investments to say the least. This is in part why the China quality is on the rise. The reason for the Dewalt/Makita prices staying the same is nothing more than $$$$. Or to repeat, "Walmart-ism." These companies take advantage of the brand's price-point in America and the dramtically lower cost of manufacturing in China. "We won't give you the jobs to build them, but we expect you to pay premium price for them anyway." Kinda like the local government buying vehicles from an out of county/state auto dealer. Or worse yet, an import brand. Profit is not a dirty word, but GREED is, and that's exactly what's happening with the Dewalt/Makita scenario.<br />WAKE UP America! Our jobs are going global but our economy is not! We are expected to buy more goods made elsewhere with money from fewer decent living wage jobs here. It's not possible.<br />Even companies that sell predominantly "Made In USA" products are not always good Americans. Look at Stanley, owner of MAC Tools. They moved corporate headquarters overseas, to avoid taxes. A Popular Mechanics or Reader's Digest article analyzed this move and showed it didn't benefit the stockholders as they were told. It strictly benefited the Board of Directors. By showing greater profits by lower taxes, their bonuses increased. After repatriating taxes, the shareholders share of the profits were actually less. GREED IS a dirty word. And these comapnies are about nothing but greed. :mad:

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Oh, by the way, I buy mainly Snap-On tools when I need premium professional tools now. They are an American company, selling American made tools, and are typically less expensive than MAC. The last two purchases I made SNap-On was 1/2 MAC, although the price difference is generally 10-15% less.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by McGR:<br /> The whole China situation is down-right scary. Today we are all reaping the benefits of low priced imported goods, but at what cost? I sometimes wonder just how my kids will make a living in the future. Hopefully, as doors close others will open.
Funny that you post this. I used to live in Illinois, and worked at Reynolds Aluminum for 21 years. Pensioned me out in 94 at 44 with 21 years of service. Rule of 65. They ended up selling the place and it never did get back up to speed. Torn down last year, and a business park is being put up. Probably will be full of Importers, and Lawyers, Insurance outfits, and fast food joints to feed them. NOTHING created of value. You also say...<br />" I hope this era does not go down in history of the end of the middle class in western society. We'll see... <br />I find this VERY prophetic...........

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed-While reading this I realised that the only time I've EVER worked for somewhere that actually had a finished product was a period of 3 months as an agency worker for Dolby cinema sound about 10 years ago-and they were made from japanese components. I'm seriously wondering if the western world isn't turning into a service industry for itself.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Frightening isn't it-I wonder what'd happen if China and the far east closed their borders.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I'll rephrase that- I wonder how long it'd take for martial law to be declared...

Realgun

Commander

I tell you what I got some harbor Freight 4.5" grinding disks and man they worked better than the Home Depot ones! And then I read the disks and they were made in Russia. So Harbor freight had better tools made in Russia!<br /><br />I hear you on the drills. I got 2 hole saws from Harbor Frieght, Made in China, and they cut two or three holes then had to be sharpened.