Tool prices are ridiculous

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My 14 y.o. son persuaded me to buy a laser level in a supermarket today on the basis that "If you don't it'll just be another tool you'll need in future and you'll say you could have bought it for a few bucks a year or two ago and the only one you can get now is too expensive. So buy it now.". He's right. So I bought it.<br /><br />This laser level comes in a plastic case with a tripod and instructions. The level has the usual horizontal bubble and a 360 degree adjustable bubble. The level sits on an adjustable and rotatable base. <br /><br />It's probably not great quality but for the half dozen times I'm likely to use it before I die it's as least as accurate as and way better than water levels and other levelling devices. <br /><br />It cost me $19.99. That'd pay for a few metres of clear plastic tube for a water level that wouldn't do a quarter of what this will do. Also this works fine single handed.<br /><br />The store had to make at least $5 on it to make it worth stocking. Even if the store imported it itself it had to arrive here with freight etc costs making it worth at least $15 landed. It'd be lucky to be worth $5 when it left China. <br /><br />We'd be struggling to make the plastic case and get it into a store for $5, never mind the contents.<br /><br />How DO they do it?<br /><br />It just doesn't make sense, even allowing for the Chinese desire for hard currency and lower labour costs.

cmyers_uk

Re: Tool prices are ridiculous

Its not just tools, everything, Ive just brought tins of Baked Beans for 7p I think around 14cents. A farmers got to grow the beans, they have to be cooked and processed put into a tin and shipped to the UK. I struggle to know how they can make the can for that.

Homerr

Commander

Walmart-ism...<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

KaGee

Admiral

It's done by adhering to CCL.<br /><br />Cheap Chinese Labor.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Quite a while back, I worked for a large retail store in an electronics department. Computers were sold very close (maybe $10 over) or sometimes at or a few bucks below cost. The reson behind it is that if you were buying a computer, you would probably need to buy things to go along with it that had a larger markup on them - like a printer, software, sometimes even a new desk.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

one thing that might be the case here is Warehouse Clearance (liquidation) and 'Shipping Dock Limbo'<br /><br />..say a company shipped product(s) to order from over-seas or even continentaly.. delivery gets refused for some reason and there the product(s) sits in a warehouse or dock.<br /><br />Instead of paying warehousing fees or retun shipping fees the company decides to dump the product at an incredible rate to save $$ in the long run... the buyer then merchandises the product(s) at what appears to be an incredibly low price to turn a profit on his already low purchasing price...<br /><br />... one way to think about it.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

"What hasn't gone outta sight in cost"?<br /><br /><br />The basic household staple food.......<br /><br /><br />Ramen Noodles!! :D :D <br /><br />(by the case, of course) ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

A week ago I had an apple betty make with fuji apple slices out of a can. They were imported from china. Hard to believe.<br /><br />The onslaught is getting broader. The chinese are trying to get market share. then watch out.

D

DJ

I have NO idea of what people on this board make $$$.<br /><br />However, Id be reasonably secure in saying that it's over $10.00/hour.<br /><br />With that said, the products we buy, from other countries are produced at $1.00/day, or at best, $1.00/hour.<br /><br />The US citizenship has am unquenchable taste for cheap goods. Unfortunately, we can't pay our neighbor to produce them.<br /><br />The REAL issue to "dispensible income" (that means pocket money) is that we are grossly overtaxed.<br /><br />If you think you don't pay taxes because you get a refund-WAKE UP!

NYMINUTE

Captain

The refund is YOUR MONEY, not a gift. If you had it all year, you may have made a few $$ in interest.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

The refund is YOUR MONEY, not a gift. If you had it all year, you may have made a few $$ in interest.
In return you will hand it back to uncle sam as service tax for goods purchased and services rendered.

D

DJ

As beezee28 says.<br /><br />Guess what? You're taxed on the refund----too!<br /><br />What a deal, for the politicians--not you.<br /><br />Not voting has SERIOUS consequences. Most of which the American people are asleep to.<br /><br />Again, WAKE UP!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

in relation to all this and Tinkers' lazer level I have a little something relevant that I find pretty funny concerning this all..<br /><br />
B000040JPX.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif
<br /><br />I have two of the above models that cost in the ball park of $400.00 (w/o the tripods) at the time I purchased them.<br /><br />a few years ago I couldn't find one of the remotes and these things don't run without 'em!! :mad: <br /><br />So I call up customer service and threw my situation at 'em and expressed how it was an engineers 'wet dream' of a concept that these things didn't work w/o the remote. BTW - they cost @ $60 w/shipping :mad: .<br /><br />anyways .. I had to leave my order open ended because I didn't have my business CC# on me at the time and then left it hang in the wind. I recieved one in the mail a few days later at no charge with a note attatched granting a new 2yr warranty on both of my complete units... :confused: :) <br /><br />A US patent ... Made in China <br />
2bz4v9
2bz537
<br /><br />they're a great unit and VERY accurate .. just a pi$$ poor american design flaw kills it. :rolleyes: <br /><br />notice the packing slip w/no charge and the patent and 'heritage' of this thing hi-lighted in red in the second pic.... what a trip..//

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try going through hard steel with "high speed bits" with your drill and a cheap Taiwanese/Chinese Tap. You'd bust multiples of those that would add up to way more in cost than a few quality tools...not to mention your time. What does your time cost?<br />One thing I've learned with tools, you generally get what you pay for if you're at least half-thoughtful in shopping. I don't mean that as an insult, since I've learned the hard way myself.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by jimchere:<br /> Try going through hard steel with "high speed bits" with your drill and a cheap Taiwanese/Chinese Tap. You'd bust multiples of those that would add up to way more in cost than a few quality tools...not to mention your time. What does your time cost?<br />One thing I've learned with tools, you generally get what you pay for if you're at least half-thoughtful in shopping. I don't mean that as an insult, since I've learned the hard way myself.
Agreed.<br /><br />Some cheap things make sense for the handyman who's rarely going to use them, like my laser level. $19.99? I drink more than that some days. Some odd jobs it suits me if I destroy the tool, like a bit, in the process because it's the only time I'm likely to use it. Anything that's going to get a lot of use needs to be good quality, but what's good quality and / or durable for the amateur isn't for tradesmen. And amateurs can't justify the price of most trade quality tools, and certainly most power tools.

LubeDude

Admiral

I agree with Tinkerer on this, if Im going to use a tool a lot and hard, I will pay the price for a quality item, Snap-on, Matco, Mac. But Harbor Frieght gets lots of my business and I have yet to break one of there tools either.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Jimchere, but find that trade quality tools from China are OK, but they are more expensive than the low quality handyman stuff. Some Makita and Dewalt tools are made there and carry the same guarantees that their domestic made stuff does. I wonder why they are not correspondingly less expensive.